My Tractor Forum banner

Question on Simplicity 4212

15K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  cityboy2977 
#1 ·
Hello all, new guy here...

A friend of mine is trying to sell me his Simplicity 4212. He says it's roughly 10 years old and it comes with a mower deck and snowblower attachment. He said he's asking $500 or best offer...what do you guys think?

#4 ·
Thank you for your advice. I'm curious, if was going to buy this tractor, what should i offer? Like around the $250 range? And, if you say move up the line, what tractor would suggest? I have never owned one before and am looking for one to mow and snowblow with.

#12 ·
They haven't made the 4200 series since the early 90's (I'm pretty sure). You can do alot better for that kinda money. I would get anything smaller than the 6200 series. The 6200 can handle 48" deck, tiller, blower etc. I honesty look back and wonder if i should have rebuild a 7000 series or larger. my decision to rebuild the 6200 was based on yard size and work load. but the 7000 and up demand a higher dollar amount and wouldn't have cost that much more to rebuild.

#5 ·
If you tinker then the older 7016 or 7117 models. If not a newer broadmore would be a starting point. As for value of your buddies. $250 in spring, $100 this time of year. It is a simplicity deck but I do not think much of the rest of the tractor. I will get hazed but even the newer regents are not built like the higher end simplicity line. Thats where the price difference comes in. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

#11 ·
one big question is what do you plan to do with it? how much grass are you cutting, and how much area are you clearing snow from?

I would think with the snow blower it wold be worth more then $200, but maybe not the $500 being asked, but then it seems prices are higher out east so that may mean $400-$500. Also condition could change that, but I couldnt' see it beeign much higher.

one difference I knowticed between my 5216 and 7116 is the 5216 has a tighter turning radius, I think the 4200's would be about the same. If the 4212 does everthing you need it too, and you need the tighter turns, and is in excellent condition, I wouldnt' back away from it.
a friend of mine couldn't use the bigger deck so the 4212 with a 36" deck works great for him. He loves it.

#14 ·
drew, I have 1/2 acre to mow, A drive to snow blow and a garden to till. I have no complains on the tractors ablity to do any of these.

Just to give you and idea I sold a 4211 two years age for 300. It was a hydro, with a 36" deck. If I'm not mistaken the 4212 also has a 36 deck. The snow blower hitch on the 4212 will fit a 6200 series.

So, maybe, purchase at 350. or 400. then keep the blower, for a larger tractor. and sell the 4212

#15 ·
Personally I would only start at the 6000 model like easyliving4ume and go up from there. You get more deck width, a stronger transaxle, more hp, a chance to add a tiller, and an all around better machine. If your really set on it just buy it. Whats the worst you are out if it breaks? $400 bucks right? And you have a snowthrower and the tractor is still worth 50 bucks in scrap. If you really want it then pick it up. Like I said I am not a fan of them but its not a huge amount of money even if you overpay for it. A big box brand will last 4 or so years at a grand and you have scrap...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.