My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 6018 and just bought an old J-70 tiller. I ordered a sleeve adapter and I should be good to go. My question is this. I have had this tractor for eight years and never used the rear PTO. I have mostly just used it in the woods for hauling firewood. It's a great machine. It only had 40 hours when I bought it and has 111 now. Do I need to do anything to the hydraulic system before I run the tiller? I did have to replace some of the fluid once when a hose broke

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a 2001 6018 and just bought an old J-70 tiller. I ordered a sleeve adapter and I should be good to go. My question is this. I have had this tractor for eight years and never used the rear PTO. I have mostly just used it in the woods for hauling firewood. It's a great machine. It only had 40 hours when I bought it and has 111 now. Do I need to do anything to the hydraulic system before I run the tiller? I did have to replace some of the fluid once when a hose broke
Now, an authority on such things I am not. But someone correct me please if I am wrong. But the PTO is not linked to the Hydraulic system right? I mean to say its run right off the transmission right? I do know that Hydraulic PTO's exist, my Father In law has one on the front of his skid steer. But there would be little point to having a Hydraulic PTO on a tractor I would think? Am I smoking here?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't believe should have to do anything, the hydro oil circulates though the system despite PTO not being used. There technically might be a little oil in the end lines but that again should be of no consequence.

If there is anything you might should do is clean the front radiator, make sure that it's free of any dirt, build up and be certain that the fan is in place and no missing blades (it's surprising how many tractors I have seen/bought that have had broken or missing fans); The reason for checking the hydraulic cooler componants is that tilling is one of the most stressfull functions you will put on your tractor and cooling the hydo oil is VERY important as the oil will get hot.

Most tractors hydraulic systems only get used to drive the tractor, tilling doubles the duty that the pump and componants get put though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Now, an authority on such things I am not. But someone correct me please if I am wrong. But the PTO is not linked to the Hydraulic system right? I mean to say its run right off the transmission right? I do know that Hydraulic PTO's exist, my Father In law has one on the front of his skid steer. But there would be little point to having a Hydraulic PTO on a tractor I would think? Am I smoking here?
You must be thinking of the convential PTO, the rear mounted PTO for Case and Ingersoll tractors is hydraulic driven PTO, there is no rear mechanical rotating PTO for these tractors shy of the front belt "PTO" which run mower decks and snowblowers.

The PTO of the Case/Ingersoll as it's called is the quick connect and lever/valve system which is fed directly off the hydraulic pump and travel control circuit which then operate hydralic driven accererciers such as a tiller, log splitter, mower, etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You must be thinking of the convential PTO, the rear mounted PTO for Case and Ingersoll tractors is hydraulic driven PTO, there is no rear mechanical rotating PTO for these tractors shy of the front belt "PTO" which run mower decks and snowblowers.

The PTO of the Case/Ingersoll as it's called is the quick connect and lever/valve system which is fed directly off the hydraulic pump and travel control circuit which then operate hydralic driven accererciers such as a tiller, log splitter, mower, etc.
I was confused on what tractor he was even talking about. I thought it was an actual Case full size tractor, not a GT. When I read your first reply, I knew the OP must be talking about something else. That's why I looked it up on youtube. The Hydraulic PTO makes perfect sense now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is yours like this? That's a neat tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPbtlL1WS10
Yeah. I think mine is newer, a 2001, and even nicer. I bought it in 2005 from a guy who was living in a three-decker in Worcester MA and had no use for it. His father had bought it new right before he died and only put 40 hours on it. My buddy who knows a lot about tractors came with me to look at it and when the guy said he wanted $4500 my friend said, "Just pay him. Don't risk bargaining because it's worth twice as much as that." It has an 18 HP Onan. I also have a 226 that I blow snow with that has a 16 HP Onan. That is a little beast.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Thanks, eboy. I'll make sure I clean the radiator and check the fan.
Just to be clear ... there is no fan on the 6018.

The oil cooler is mounted such that the engine draws air through it.

Do check the cooler for free air flow.

Ensure you have good motor oil (15W40 weight recommended in your area) in the hydraulic system.

Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Brian, I saw the radiator and the catcher's mask like protection over the opening on the engine in front of it. I figured the fan was in there. Good to know I don't have to pull it off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just to be clear ... there is no fan on the 6018.

The oil cooler is mounted such that the engine draws air through it.

Do check the cooler for free air flow.

Ensure you have good motor oil (15W40 weight recommended in your area) in the hydraulic system.

Brian
Thank for correcting me, that's what I get for just having the older tractors! One of these days I will have to get one of these newer models before Eastman Ingersoll stops making them!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts