My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was wondering what you all thought of the Simplicity reagent, specificly the 22\44 I am stuck b/t a x300/304 JD and this Simplicity, it looks to me that the simplicity will cut alot better than the JD, and I have had a briggs motors on my lawn mowers as long as i can remember. Whats everyone's opinion???

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to the forum bekellog.:thThumbsU I own both Simplicity and a John Deere tractors. They are larger GTs, but I still think the mowing attributes are comparable to the LTs. I always prefer the mowing of the Simplicity over the JD. In my opinion it is due to the method that Simplicity uses to attach the mowing deck to the tractor. The Simplicity decks more or less support their own weight on the ground and follow the ground contour independent of the position of the tractor. This allows for a more scalp free mowing as well as a smoother transition between each "row" or "pass" of the mower because there is no tipping and gouging of the edge of the deck if the ground is uneven. I like to think that the Simplicity deck is a "towed" deck under the tractor. And of course, you have the famous "striping" capablilities if your deck has rollers.

The JD on the other hand has a more traditional deck attachment. This attachment keeps the deck fully supported by the tractor and only has guide wheels to help prevent scalping. This deck setup may be desirable if you have objects like small rocks, stone, brush / tree stump protruding up in the mowing area. The JD deck will fly or float over most of those hazards. On a Simplicity, the deck's rollers will generally have to bump over them.

The back portion of my lot had a lot of small trees cleared and the stumps are still there sticking up about an inch or two in the grass, I prefer the JD mower in this area because I just set the deck up a little higher and mow right over them without touching them. On the other hand, I will use my Simplicity in the front yard where I am trying to impress my neighbors with some nice "baseball park" striping.

Aside from the mowing characteristics, I would think you would find them very similar machines. Look for differences such as the position of the hydo foot controls, deck lift controls, turning radius, seat positions and other riding and comfort features. How about service and maintenance. Is there a local or close dealer network? Length of warranty? Attachment availability? You will probably find the cost of service or parts about the same.

All things being similar, and if your mostly going to use this for just mowing, I would go with the Simplicity. I also would upgrade to make sure I got the mowing deck with the rollers.:fing32:

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Regent and think MarkT's advice is spot on. I have a 2008 18/38 and the cut is just awesome. I was very concerned too because my yard has exposed tree roots and rocks. The Simplicity handles it much better than a conventional deck because the full length rollers means the deck is stable over the uneven portions. Also, the Simplicity tractors have a quick release deck so that you can remove it easily.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have a Conquest, and am very pleased with the general quality of the machine. The cut is great. I also use it to mow tall grass (12-14") on rough terrain, and it does very well. The rollers prevent scalping, and on my property that is a real asset, since parts of it are very uneven.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a 22/44 and love it.

I bought it last June and like you I was torn between the JD X304 and the Regent 22/44. After I did some research though, the choice was obvious. The Regent has a smaller turning radius, a slightly tougher tranny, has a reputation for giving the best cut of any lawn tractor, can stripe, and costs a few hundred less.

In just over a year I have put on over 70 hours on my machine and it is better today than when I bought it. Go with the Simplicity. However, I would love to see you post this in the JD forum and see what responses you get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, all i have been hearing about Simplicity is how wonderful the cut is!!! Im sure that it will cut somewhat like my ol Ford yt 12.5 It has a small roller in the front and wheels in the rear. Im really starting to lean more and more towards the Simp. I dont think I would like the JD with the suspended deck. I am gonna go to Talk to my local dealer on monday and see what kind of deals are available. Thanks for all the help!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 20/38 Regent that is just over two years old and I would buy it again today. After I started reading the forums I found almost no negative posts on Simplicity and that is what sold me. I think my warranty just expired in July, but I've not had any trouble to date. Seems to be a well built and thought out machine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys, I just visited my local simplicity dealer today on my lunch break, They were very helpfull and informative--they pointed out all the neat features of the regent. We were looking at a Massey, but he explined that tho only difference was the paint color. The salesman was gonna call and see if the could still get a 44" this year or have to wait for next season. So the wait begins

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a 2008 X304, and if I had to do it again I would get a Regent or a Broadmore. I had a Gilson YT before the X304 and I know that my X304 doesn't cut as nice as the floating deck under the Gilson. I expect the Simplicties are similar.

Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Regent is hands down the winner in the quality of cut competition. Serviceability and longevity I would think thats a tie. My neighbors X300 sits,(not used in 2 years Its only a year older than mine.) while i cut both yards with my 22/44 Regent. They were so impressed when I cut their lawn while they were on vacation. That they now pay me to cut it every time I cut mine. Their X300 scalped the crowns in their yard. (Quite a few.) Making it look horrible. They also have many tree roots that they would hit. My Regent never scalps or hits any of the roots they had problems with. The Plastic hood on their X300 is broken and it is now used by his employees to cut their own yards. Regardless of what you buy. Trust your dealer. Because if you have a problem, And you didn't trust him at the beginning. You will really kick you're self for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts