My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
JustMeTony
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am a newbe, so If I am in the wrong area, sorry. I have a 197? Sears Craftsman riding lawn mower or garden Tractor. I was told it was a 76 model, but I don't know. It was stored for 20 years so it is in very good shape, though the dash is broke. The model number is 917.25170 and the ser. number is 1327 B05290. It has a Craftsman cast iron extra long engine life with solid state ignition, the number off the engine cover is 143 670032 ser 7080E. So my first question is what do I really have. My second question, is where can I find a manual or book on this. I am have some problems getting it to run. If I pour gas in the carb, she will fire up and die, if I remove the fuel line at the carb and blow thru it I can hear the gas bubbling in the tank. I want to get this old girl running again and use her around my small farm. Thanks for listening and for helping.

·
Registered
716 Posts
hi and :MTF_wel2:

i have found this so far

1977 Sears Craftsman 917.25170 Heavy-Duty Garden Tractor 16hp Tecumseh 6-Speed Transmission i think they called them a 16/6 or a ss16?? not sure just learning sears items myself

some of the members here do have manuals uploaded, or you can find them on ebay

sounds like your carb is blocked up, if it was sitting so long i would just advise a nice cleaning and put a rebuild kit in it, be sure to replace your fuel line also

there are some great videos on youtube with step by step carb rebuilding

hope this helps you get started :fing32:

·
JustMeTony
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atfigure, Thank you.
That is more than I knew before.
It is a good little tractor and I was surprised when I got it how much torque it has, I will look and see what else I can find on here. this site looks like it will be a help, I plan to look deeper into this old tractor and see what I find.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
JustMeTony
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all.
I found my manual and WOW, It has everything, now If I could just go back in time to 1977 and order the parts I will need, then that would be great.
My first step will be to go thru the carb and clean it up and see what I can find, oh yes, if anyone has a dash for one of these I would like to talk to you.
I looked at pictures that have been posted and can see that I am going to have fun fixin this old tractor up. In the long run, I think it will be worth all I put into it.
:thanku:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hi Tony, congrats on your new to you tractor. The fuel problem could also be the fuel pump check to see if it is delivering fuel to the carb. The OH160 Tecumseh is a horse of an engine I really like mine. Take some pics and post of your tractor.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
As far as the dash goes, get a fiberglass one from 68-75 and swap it on

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thanks y'all.
I found my manual and WOW, It has everything, now If I could just go back in time to 1977 and order the parts I will need, then that would be great.
You can, ebay has hundreds of Sears tractor parts every day.

Check out my video series to pick up a few pointers on these little beauties.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Yep, sounds like you got you a '77 16/6, only year Sears used that name plate, but basically same as a ST16. I also have a 16/6, been a decent tractor.
Did you find the Tecumseh 8-18 Hp manual? That thing is like a bible for the motor.
I have done some upgrades on mine, but I use it for mowing, plowing, pulling, hauling, pushing snow, and moving material with the front dump. She is a work horse.
Sounds like the carb may need rebuilt/cleaned. It also should have a fuel pump, that may not be pulling fuel. If you have issues with carb, check out www.carbrescue.com , Mark does a great job rebuilding them and is fairly reasonable.
Parts are out there, just have to search and be patient.

Shoot us some pics if you can!!!!

Here is a couple pics of mine working

·
Registered
716 Posts
just wondering if youo got this machine running good yet? was just curious

·
JustMeTony
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Atfigure, to answer your question. No, I have not. Besides working on the tractor, I am in the middle of remodeling my house. I needed a battery for my Yardman by MTD and bought a battery for the Sears too. That's when I found this problem. I now have the tools to look into it. I hope to give it sometime this weekend. Seems that there is always something going on around my little farm, that I have to pick and chose which project get priority. For some reason, my todo list keeps getting bigger and bigger. I just don't know why...lol.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:howdy: For futher information go to, vintagesearsgardentractors.com all kinds of info. :smilie_fl

·
Registered
716 Posts
my todo list keeps getting bigger and bigger. I just don't know why...lol.
lol i hear ya, i havent touched a tractor all week, now thats its getting decent outside, i got alot of things i need to get done

1 - 18 of 18 Posts