My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have a ???? on The k-46 hydro transaxle, I am divided between an x300 John Deere an a Simplicity Reagent, I see that they both use the K46 except the Simplicity calls it a K46HD--The John deere camp says the K46 is light and prone to failure. All I hear out of the Simplicity camp is just the oppisite. So my question is, is there a difference B\t the K46 in the Deere and the K46hd in the Simplicity????

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had spoke to tuff torq about retro fitting a machine this is what they told me that they make between 50-100 versions of each model so a k46 in one brand will not be the same in another they might not even be the same in a brands model line either . they make a 4wd version a diff lock version ect k46 is considered the package out side shell the insides are all different they are built to spec for the coustmer differt pump and gears and axles some have a shock absourber return to netural some have a spring return. on the x300 series they do offer the k58 on the x320 and up models bottom line is nothing last forever when they say non serivicable they mean that to change the oil in it is a pain you have to take the whole thing off the tractor but it can be done the internal filter is more of a screen than a filter if you try to change that you will have to get a seal kit any way check out this link

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/COM_Net2/servlet/WebDispatcher?mode=comnet

then hit the Catalog Shop tab then Hydrostatic then k46 you will see all the different modeles that they list i was told that this is just some of them

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello all I have a ???? on The k-46 hydro transaxle, I am divided between an x300 John Deere an a Simplicity Reagent, I see that they both use the K46 except the Simplicity calls it a K46HD--The John deere camp says the K46 is light and prone to failure. All I hear out of the Simplicity camp is just the oppisite. So my question is, is there a difference B\t the K46 in the Deere and the K46hd in the Simplicity????

Thanks
I asked the same question here and got nothing, other than a helpful suggestion to contact Tuff-Torq based on their reputation for great support. Well, three e-mails later, all I've received back from Tuff-Torq is a response to my second e-mail that someone would be following-up to my e-mail soon... That was over 2 weeks ago now and I doubt anybody at Tuff-Torq is looking that far back in their e-mails for something to do.

It's a pretty simple question, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer. Or, do they know the answer but just don't want to tell me that it's just a marketing thing to add the HD tag to get a few extra bucks. Frankly, when looking at the two side by side on my Snapper dealers floor, I can't see anything externally different...

·
22,781 Posts
It's a pretty simple question, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer. Or, do they know the answer but just don't want to tell me that it's just a marketing thing to add the HD tag to get a few extra bucks. Frankly, when looking at the two side by side on my Snapper dealers floor, I can't see anything externally different...
Think back to the many different small block Chevys in the 60's. With no intake manifold and the exhaust ports covered, it isn't possible to find the difference between several different displacements and several different horsepower ratings on some of them. They all look the same on the outside, other than casting numbers, and those don't give the horsepower.

Tuff-Tork is doing the same.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Think back to the many different small block Chevys in the 60's. With no intake manifold and the exhaust ports covered, it isn't possible to find the difference between several different displacements and several different horsepower ratings on some of them. They all look the same on the outside, other than casting numbers, and those don't give the horsepower.

Tuff-Tork is doing the same.
To be sure. My point however is that I can't get anyone to tell me the difference, not that I can't tell from just looking. Differentiation is the heart of most marketing programs. If a couple of letters can be applied to a product name or model to get a few extra bucks for it, or to sell a thousand more, then of course, companies will do it! It's all about perception.

But, back to my point. Being the inquisitive person that I am, I want to know! What's the difference between the K46 and the K46HD option offered in the Snapper LT200?

I'll go ahead and see if I can re-send my e-mail to Tuff-Torq once again, but doing so brings to mind the old adage regarding doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results... :banghead3

·
Registered
828 Posts
Im not sure if it helps or hurts your decision making process but my manual states the 155C I had was equipped with a K46HD transaxle. I changed the fluid and filter around 50 hours to synthetic and never had a problem with it. I used my lawn roller for half an hour two weekends in a row on a hill steep enough that the loaded tires would spin if I did not approach the hill right and that transaxle barely got warm (but it was 50 degrees outside).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Snapper L200 and a Simplicity Regent with the K46HD. I think the difference is inside. The Simplicity Regent with the small engine and 38inch deck has the K46 and runs on 20inch tires where the ones with twins and 44inch and up have the K46HD and run 22inch tires. The top speed is the same for each. So I think the difference is for the bigger tire. Both of mine are very smooth and have been no problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Snapper L200 and a Simplicity Regent with the K46HD. I think the difference is inside. The Simplicity Regent with the small engine and 38inch deck has the K46 and runs on 20inch tires where the ones with twins and 44inch and up have the K46HD and run 22inch tires. The top speed is the same for each. So I think the difference is for the bigger tire. Both of mine are very smooth and have been no problem.
I suspect you're right Jimmy and lest there be any doubt, I picked up the LT200 a couple of weeks ago. I thought that at the very least, they've re-geared it for the larger tires, but I hope there's more to it than that. I went ahead and resent an e-mail to Tuff-Torq and will post back if I hear anything from them.

BTW, those 22X10-8 tires are nearly impossible to find chains for or for that matter, replacement tires! I found a set of chains on Amazon for $90 and free shipping, which beat my Snapper dealers cost of $140 after taxes and shipping by a long shot. He even told me to shop around because he felt guilty selling the ones from Snapper at that price... The wheel weights are the next issue. Those too are outrageous at the dealer and I might go elsewhere for those too if I can find any for a deal, or come up with something on my own. I might just go the WW route and see if that's enough for now.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
JD uses the K46HD too, but usually doesn't call out the "extra" letters in the model. Heck, JD not long ago didn't even call out the actual trans model number.

There is no difference between Simplicity or JD K46's in the top line tractors that I know of...other than there is a higher expectation of how long a JD should last or what it should be able to do. Thus, JD's get graded on a different scale than other brands. Plus, there are more JD's in the world that Simplicities. It's fun to beat up on the head of the pack I guess.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I suspect you're right Jimmy and lest there be any doubt, I picked up the LT200 a couple of weeks ago. I thought that at the very least, they've re-geared it for the larger tires, but I hope there's more to it than that. QUOTE]

I just got 2 new 1700 series Hydro Gear axles for a project I am doing and they sent me a manual with them for the 3500 series axles so I called to get the correct one and they said the axles are all the same except for gear changes internally that allow the same size hydro pump to work with the larger tires that the the bigger GT's use. After looking and part numbers and axle schematics I believe this to be correct. All of the major bearings, axle shafts,carriers,pumps, etc are the same part numbers. So my guess is that Tuff Torq is the same just changing minor components to customize the units to individual manufacturerer's needs.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
marketing thing to add the HD tag

the HD tag means nothing.... it's just a couple of letters to denote a revision level.

there is a:
K46H, K46HA, K46HB, K46HC, K46HD, K46HE.. etc...

the letters are just 'series' types and option designations... HD does not mean HEAVY DUTY....

cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,321 Posts
That shows how much I know. I thought it meant Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I finally heard back with an answer from Tuff Torq. I was told that the difference between the two options offered by Snapper is that the one I have has different gearing to accept the 22" wheels and most importantly a drain plug for fluid changes. I like that answer and it makes me happy to have gotten the HD.

I was told that other than the gearing and the drain plug, everything else about the units is identical.

Based on my history, I don't expect to run into any problems with this one. I'll change out the fluid to 5W-50 synthetic this weekend in anticipation of the added stress of pushing a snowthrower in below zero temps. The drain will make that soooo much easier...

Thanks all for the feedback! :trink39:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I finally heard back with an answer from Tuff Torq. I was told that the difference between the two options offered by Snapper is that the one I have has different gearing to accept the 22" wheels and most importantly a drain plug for fluid changes. I like that answer and it makes me happy to have gotten the HD.

I was told that other than the gearing and the drain plug, everything else about the units is identical.

Based on my history, I don't expect to run into any problems with this one. I'll change out the fluid to 5W-50 synthetic this weekend in anticipation of the added stress of pushing a snowthrower in below zero temps. The drain will make that soooo much easier...

Let me know how the fluid change go's for you. I'd like to change mine next spring. It will have over 100hrs on it by then. Do you know how much oil the K46 takes?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Just for the record, the K46HD have to more magnet near the intake of the pump it was an upgrade by Tuff Torq.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Let me know how the fluid change go's for you. I'd like to change mine next spring. It will have over 100hrs on it by then. Do you know how much oil the K46 takes?
2 quarts. (1.9 liters)

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts

Best wishes in your endeavor Bill, and glad to hear you're going with the 5w50 :fing32:.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I ended up having to order it from Tuff Torq after not being able to find 5W-50 locally. Probably best to stick with their stuff, at least until the warranty expires anyway. I've read stories of dealers questioning the fluid change while still under warranty and I won't have any problem resolving that since their website recommends it over the original fluid.

A bit disappointed in their $25 minum order on their website, but what are you going to do... They could have just put "the good stuff" in the thing to start with and charged an extra couple of bucks to cover the cost, but then the tractor makers wouldn't get to sell a new machine as soon. Grrrrrr! :1106:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I ended up having to order it from Tuff Torq after not being able to find 5W-50 locally. Probably best to stick with their stuff, at least until the warranty expires anyway. I've read stories of dealers questioning the fluid change while still under warranty and I won't have any problem resolving that since their website recommends it over the original fluid.

A bit disappointed in their $25 minum order on their website, but what are you going to do... They could have just put "the good stuff" in the thing to start with and charged an extra couple of bucks to cover the cost, but then the tractor makers wouldn't get to sell a new machine as soon. Grrrrrr! :1106:
Whats your plan for gaining access to the filler cap? It looks to me if one would remove the four bolts on the axle and maybe the lift handle that the frame would lift enough for access and maybe not. Let me know how the oil change works for you and thanks for passing along all you research.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whats your plan for gaining access to the filler cap? It looks to me if one would remove the four bolts on the axle and maybe the lift handle that the frame would lift enough for access and maybe not. Let me know how the oil change works for you and thanks for passing along all you research.
My plan involves liberal amounts of swearing and at least several scratched knuckles...

Really, I've thought of it and don't have a plan yet. I'm just tickled to death to have learned that I have drain bolts on the bottom of mine! I've considered possibly dropping the unit enough to gain easy access, or perhaps using a tube and possibly a pump if needed to refill it after cleaning thoroughly before opening. I even considered drilling an access port over the top of the filler cap and underneath the seat, but won't be able to bring myself to do that to a machine with about 3 hours on the meter.

I'll figure it out, but am very open to suggestions!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts