My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stihl has homeowner grade and commercial grade in weed whackers. Is there any difference in construction between the two? Or is the commercial grade simply of higher displacement and greater HP? Or is the commercial grade built to stricter specs? Thank you, gents.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Commercial grade will have roller bearings in the motor just for starters. Not sure about the Stihl residential models but most don't. Residential is built to last being used about once a week where commercial is built to last being ran 8 hours a day everyday. No comparison.

·
LBAD Victim
975 Posts
The commercial stihl also have a solid drive shaft, and a replaceable or interchangeable gearbox. The homeowner models use a flexshaft, and the gearheads are sealed. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hotajax if you go to a power equipment dealer you can get all the info you like ,everyone here hit the nail on the head , and with sthil you get a extra two years on the factory warranty if you use sthil two stroke oil in the equipment

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Of course, the dealer has to be willing to actually fix the thing under warranty. I bought a FS110R, and it was always taking a lot of pulls to get it started (over 10 pulls, every time the engine was cold), take it to dealer "too bad. these can be hard to start. goodbye"

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The consumer trimmers are all 2 strokes, nothing wrong with that but they are not built to the precise standards of the commercial models. All of those save one, the FS94R, are 4 stroke hybrids that produce torque at a lower rpm. They are smoother, quieter and much more robust for the professional user. Not all use a solid steel shaft, the FS94R has a cable but is not designed to accept a blade.
The consumer 2 strokes are extremely popular and excellent value for the average home owner. Having said that, they are too noisy and vibrate excessively for my taste. For not much more money there are better units on the market but that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I bought my first commercial trimmer a couple months back. My stihl fs46 has served me very well for 10+ years no doubt. I purchased the Stihl fs94r and absolutely love it. Night and day over my fs46. From the feel of the trimmer to the power and almost perfect sounding exhaust. I installed a 400 speed feed head and the padded grip that's used on the 4 stroke models. Not cheap by any means but it was a early present for myself. My fs46 is now on Craigslist for sale. Very impressed!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just picked up a new-to-me MS361 saw last weekend from a fella not far from me. Used less than 10 hrs. Still has all the factory stickers/no paint missing on the bottom. Couldn't be happier! Will compliment my 025 nicely! All professional Stihls for me now!! Not that the home-owner grade stuff is junk, the FS56RC trimmer I had for 3 years was flawless and used it for a year commercially with no problems. Still ran as good as the day I bought it. Sold for $110 last summer.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,397 Posts
I own a BG55 and BR600 blowers, MS270 saw, and (I think) HS45 hedge trimmer. All have been awesome. I had the saw back at the dealer with just a couple hours on it because I didn't think it idled down fast enough after letting off the throttle. They checked the carb boot and adjusted the carb. Been fine for the last 7 years now without a single hiccup. The hedge trimmer was back once or maybe twice after using it only a couple times. I got it as a gift from my wife (who obviously really understands me!). The dealer didn't prep it, but offered to when she bought it. She wanted it left sealed in the box, and I could bring it back for startup if I wanted to. I figured I could just put gas in it and go, but unfortunately the carb was messed up out of the box (which would have been caught at prep... Can't REALLY blame the dealer or Stihl for that one). At the beginning of the second year of use (it only gets used a couple times per year), it wouldn't idle any more. They blamed alcohol poisoning at first, but ruled that out after they found their own pre mixed fuel in it, and ended up fixing it under warranty again. It has been trouble free since. Every time I had anything in there, they had it back to me in a very reasonable amount of time and were everything I would expect from a home town dealer (Norton Small Engine on Apple in Muskegon).

I want to buy more stuff from them (and I will, some day), but truth be known, the Stihl stuff I have seems like it's going to run for a long, long time. I think maybe an "upgrade" needs to be in my future. I think I "need" one of those newer saws. My father in law bought a new MS250 saw, and really doesn't like it. He has an 029 Farm Boss that has more hours on it than 99.99% of most other chain saws in existance that he wants to refurbish for the third time, because he hates the MS250 so much. Maybe I'll trade my MS270 for his MS250, and use the 250 for light cutting and limbing, and upgrade to something like an MS361.

Oh yeah... Maybe I need a new stick edger to replace the Echo I bought at auction a couple years ago. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I think I need a pole saw, too. And a new trimmer to replace my Homelite. Maybe I just need the Kombi system.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the FC95 stick edger and it is a beast. Absolutely love it and use it 2-3x a week on various properties I service. The MS361 is absolutely amazing and so is my older 025 I bought from my uncle. The 251 is not a great saw. I couldn't believe I found my MS361 on CL for a great price and in amazing condition for the price I did! Just check CL religiously and you'll find some good buys.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a stihl hs56c hedge trimmer and I just rebuilt my old 026 saw. Had nothing but good luck with the brand. I never knew they had 4 stroke trimmers, I went to Honda because I wanted a 4 stroke. Love the power but the head on it is cheaper than it should be.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a stihl hs56c hedge trimmer and I just rebuilt my old 026 saw. Had nothing but good luck with the brand. I never knew they had 4 stroke trimmers, I went to Honda because I wanted a 4 stroke. Love the power but the head on it is cheaper than it should be.
The professional grade trimmers/edgers are all 4-strokes. However, they are unique as they still use mixed gas/oil. They do that so you can still use them in various positions but man are they torquey! Definitely pricey, but the 131 trimmer and 95 edger are great machines!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The professional grade trimmers/edgers are all 4-strokes. However, they are unique as they still use mixed gas/oil. They do that so you can still use them in various positions but man are they torquey! Definitely pricey, but the 131 trimmer and 95 edger are great machines!
The professional grade fs94r trimmer is a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Two years back I was miffed after moving from CT to MA and having fuel issues in equipment I had for 15 years. Ran great until it hit the different fuel and then I couldn't tune or do a thing to keep them running well. Went out to the local place and looked into the Kombi. Figured the 90 size was right for me and talked to the sales person. He asked which attachments I planned on running. Well string trimmer and blower were expected, I saw the bed edge refresher and that sold me on the 130 power head (now 131). I have since added the 135 degree articulating trimmer and other things. I like the kombi a lot and previously had separate pieces. My neighbors love it as well.

I looked up specs on Echo's and a few others before buying. The blower sold me easily. It puts out more than a lot of backpack blowers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
still got my fs120 , fs250 trimmer,ad bg85c blower still running great

1 - 20 of 23 Posts