My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out the price of wheel weights and they sure are spendy. A friend of mine lifts weight so I asked if he had an extra 100lbs or so of cast weights. He said he had two 50lb weights he could give me. I mounted them on the tractor by using the hitch pin that came with my sleeve hitch. I put the short end into the hitch's hole and slipped the weights on the long 90 degree side. It worked perfectly going through the weights center hole. Put the hairpin in and the weights don't go anywhere. 100lbs of free cast weight, Priceless.

Here's my question.... Do weights hooked to a sleeve hitch work as well as wheel weights to give you extra traction? What's your opinion about them helping lower the center of gravity?

Harris

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Weights on the rear hitch will provide more weight on the rear end than wheel weights, and will lighten the front end.

Wheel weights will not lighten the front end, but will stress the transmission by increasing the rotational inertia of the wheel.

Loading the rear tires with fluid will not increase the rotational inertia of the rear wheels thus not adding stress to the transmission.

·
Silent, Senior MTF Member
871 Posts
You may be surprised at how much weight you can add just by loading your tires. That keeps your weight as low as possible, and dosen't put pressure on the axle bearings, etc. :eck34:

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Just picked up a 'bunch' of cast iron weights, myself, at a yard sale. About $ .08 per pound. Now, do I use them on the tractor, or for their original intent?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Or you can supersize your orders at the fast food place and conviently move the weights from one tractor to another

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Do weights hooked to a sleeve hitch work as well as wheel weights to give you extra traction?
Close enough you won't notice it except if measuring the difference under controlled conditions.

What's your opinion about them helping lower the center of gravity?

Harris
Anything below the current CG will lower the CG. I sure don't know the location of my GTs CG.
it is a safe bet that any weight below the rear axle lowers the CG. In that case, wheel weights are exactly neutral. Heck, when you sit on the tractor you change the CG much more than disc weights near the hitch.

No worries.

looking for iron weights at yard sales.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts