My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve got a Sendec that I forgot to put on my LT2000, but I was looking at it yesterday and was going to tie it to some wiring under the hood. It didn't come with any instructions, just bubble-wrapped in a small box. It's pretty much like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sendec-Digita...56-4238674?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1244725995&sr=8-7

It didn't come with any wiring and has 2 connection prongs in the back, one pointing N-S and the other pointing E-W. I have a loose connection wire on the tractor just for something like this, and the tech said to get another length of wire and connect it from the meter to the chassis. Ya think a hardware store would have the prong connector and wire I need? I know I should know all this but I'm slowing down. :)

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
The installation diagram at the Sendec website seems to suggest it's a fairly straightforward hookup. Looks like it's just looking for switched power (downstream of ignition switch, etc) and ground.

Not sure which pin is which in your case -- maybe you'll find a + and - mark near each pin if you look closely under good light?

Your nearby Radio Shack should have some small female pin connectors. You may have to buy a multi-pin connector and pull the terminals out of it. Just take the hour meter with you and ask the 18 year old behind the counter to stop texting and go find you something that will fit.:1106:

Worst case you could probably get by with a standard crimp-type ring terminal connector used backwards. Just crimp it slightly and see if it fits over the pin.. if too loose, crimp it a bit more and try again.. repeat until snug. You may have to remove the plastic insulation from the terminal if the male pins sit close to the meter body.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toolin - yeah, the hot wire is already provided with the tractor and it looks to be running from the ignition switch, so the hour meter will only run when it's cranked up. So, I'll need a female pin connector and wire (is there a specified type wire for this purpose?), then run it to a ground location, and I guess that can be anywhere on the frame, correct? Thanks for the input.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I don't think you need a special sized wire.. the current draw on that wire is probably negligible.. it's probably more of a sense wire than a power wire. I would guess the meter has it's own battery for power, and even then the consumption is probably tiny. Only issue might be getting a wire with higher temperature insulation if it runs near any hot components. Underhood automotive electrical wire should be fine, 18 or 22 gauge.

For ground, the frame is probably ok, but using a bracket attached to the engine block would be better or go right to the negative battery post. For my tachometer installation I attached the ground wire to a bracket where the oil filler tube was secured to the engine block.

When I was browsing around that Sendec website they had a neat idea for an hour meter.. "vibration activated". Only counts hours when the tractor is vibrating. Clever way to avoid running the hours up unnecessarily if you turn the tractor off but accidentally leave the key in the on position for days... Only downside I can think of is hours that might rack up while transporting the tractor on a trailer or pickup.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other Sendec hour meter I got for my other tractor wraps around the spark plug wire, so it won't register any time unless the spark is working. I like that too. This one is bar bones and doesnt have anything like that so I'm having to improvise, and I'm not that good without instructions. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts