My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into changing to mulching blades. When I put the new blades on can i tighten the bolt by hand with a wrench or do I have to use an impact wrench to get the right LBs of pressure? I dont own an impact wrench.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I've changed out many blades with just a wrench and a hammer. I give the wrench a few good square taps to get the bolt loose, and to tighten it back up. Just be careful not to over tighten the bolt, and try not to hit yourself in the filangies.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt mean impact wrench i meant torque wrench which i dont have.
Regular wrench it is. will give it a try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't tell you how many sets of blades I have changed on my mowers but I never use a torque wrench or impact wrench. I just hold the blade with my hand and use a 12 inch breaker bar that I turn until it is tight. Never have had a problem with that method so far.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Two different ways to apply "redneck torque"::goodl:

small nuts and bolts--tighten until they begin to strip and back off 1/4 turn

large nuts and bolts--- keep pushing on the wrench and watch your knuckles as they turn white. Three white knuckles is about right for blade bolts.

:177:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
72 ft.lbs. for my spindle bolts sticks in my head. I've been using a 12" rachet and no problems ever. Block one end of the blade against something under the deck with a piece of scrap 2X4 and tighten.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I always felt there were three torque settings for blades, tight, **** tight, and too **** tight. I always try to torque my blades between tight and **** tight. Too **** tight is when you feel the torque release on the bolt or stud as it breaks off. I try to avoid too **** tight.
steve

·
Registered
244 Posts
Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the blade rotation set to keep the blades tight? On old mowers you could find opposite threads and they caused lots of problems. I haven't heard of a blade coming off when properly installed and hand tightened in ages.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just tighten with a wrench until very snug with a 2 x 4 jammed under the deck - kind of like HydroHarold's method. Never had a problem with a blade coming loose.

·
Registered
344 Posts
the 3/8" cordless impacts work nice, tight but not to tight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts