My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've mentioned on here before, I can't get my right rear wheel off my MTD 840. Got the left one off so I could install my sleeve hitch. I've got as much penetrating oil on as I could tilting the GT as much as I could. Three questions.

Is it possible that the key is tapered and put in the wrong way?

Is it possible to drill out the key?

Do you think that there's anything a machine / welding shop could do?

Harris

·
16,809 Posts
Both rear axles (not looking at ur particular tractor) should be the same--that wasn't a special tranny, I wouldn't think....

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
No.
No.
and No.

My reasoning being, the key is just square stock, drilling it out with a round bit will just ruin the keyway, and it is most likely not holding the wheel on in the first place, since the key is the loosest thing in the set up, able to slide on both the wheel and the axle...and the easiest place to get penetrating oil into. The mating surface between the wheel and the axle is where it is being held by corrosion most likely, and the hardest place to get the oil.
A machine/welding shop might heat it up for you after the tire is removed, but that will cost you a bundle and after they try banging it off with a hammer, your wheel will be junk and the axle might still come out of the transmission after they break the c clip holding it in.
I ground mine off. NOT a pretty sight but the only way to make sure not to damage your transmission. Once they are off, you can then swap on some 5 lug hubs if you want to permanently fix the problem or just clean the axle and a new wheel and grease them this time.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=113329

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Harris, have you tried building a puller? Those rims should be drilled for wheel weights.

A piece of thick flat iron stock (angle iron would be easier), several lengths of all-thread and some nuts and you have a puller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts