My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this question hasn't been asked to death already but I searched the forums & couldn't find any posts about this.
My question:
Do I need to purchase some sort of bracket for the rear of my X370 in order to put suitcase weights on it? It looks to me like they might just fit right on the box frame of the tractor with no bracket but when I asked my dealer he said I would need to add a bracket if I wanna put weights on otherwise they might damage the frame. Can anyone help me with this question? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Read your owners manual it will tell you. I don't have that that manual but my 345s manual tells exactly where to mount them and how many I can use. Sorry I can't give you more of a correct answer. Roger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read your owners manual it will tell you. I don't have that that manual but my 345s manual tells exactly where to mount them and how many I can use. Sorry I can't give you more of a correct answer. Roger
Thanks Roger,
I really don't remember seeing anything about it in the OM but I do remember the weird note in there about the warranty possibly being voided if wheel weights or fluid in the tires is used - which sounds just plain stupid to me. I'll take another look again as soon as I get a chance.

·
Shacker
761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,702 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He would only needs the weight bracket if he had a AWS Model Not a 2WS model The rear weight Bracket is actually the rear of the X370 frame :thThumbsU
Thanks Sergeant, I think you are right. I found this on:
green-diamond.ca/staging/our-products/mowers/lawn-tractors/x300-series/x370-lawn-tractor/
About frame & weight rear brackets.JPG
Also thanks to all who offered their help on this.

·
X370 Fan
44 Posts
Here is what the back end of my X370 looks like with the 2 weights on it. Honestly, the bracket appears to be entirely capable of holding 4 of them.

I have been wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't change that rear bracket for the X570 bracket so I can add a sleeve hitch. I wonder if the X500 K72 bolt pattern is the same as the K57 in my X370? I wonder this because if I do get a sleeve hitch and try to actually use it, I suspect the K57 will not be up to the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics zonzorp! I also wonder about the trans in these x370's. I was surprised to find out that JD makes it sound like the x370 isn't really a very tough trans. If I owned a couple acres I would be afraid that it wouldn't last very well with me weighing 285 and needing front & rear weights. I think I'm beginning to think I should have spent a bit more......... $$$$

·
21,722 Posts
Thanks for the pics zonzorp! I also wonder about the trans in these x370's. I was surprised to find out that JD makes it sound like the x370 isn't really a very tough trans. If I owned a couple acres I would be afraid that it wouldn't last very well with me weighing 285 and needing front & rear weights. I think I'm beginning to think I should have spent a bit more......... $$$$
That's because it isn't. A K57 is a K46 with a charge pump that gives it improved performance, but it is still short of a GT transmission in that regard.

Four suitcase weights and a 285 lb operator pretty much maxes out the static axle load rating for that hydro.

With your weight, a small GT with a K72 would have been a better choice.

·
X370 Fan
44 Posts
I'm not 285lb, but I have spent lots of time wondering about the same thing. My property is only an acre, but it isn't particularly flat. I have been considering the idea that if the K57 doesn't turn out to be up to the job, it may be much more cost-effective for me to run it until it quits, then put in a K66 or K72. There are kits available to make it easier, although they also reduce the cost advantage from upgrading the transaxle versus trading up. In Ontario, trading up means spending close to an extra $5000, just for the tractor changeup from X370 to X580. I really can't justify that. I also really like the 2" deck with the trees I have. I think manoeuvring a 54' deck through them might be more nuisance than I want, and upgrading the X370 transaxle seems like a better way to work my property. It's a shame JD doesn't let you order a more capable transmission in the X300 series to set them apart from the box store machines.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
............... It's a shame JD doesn't let you order a more capable transmission in the X300 series to set them apart from the box store machines.
I totally agree and surmise it's a demand & cost savings thing. The buying trend now is scuts & ztr mowers and I dare say that in 10 yrs. or so years the offerings of LT's/GT's from JD or Cub will be greatly diminished even further because only us old diehards will want a tractor style mower. I suggest if see a tractor style mower that fits all your needs pay the piper and get it now while you can. Just rambling.

·
Super Moderator
15,702 Posts
Here is what the back end of my X370 looks like with the 2 weights on it. Honestly, the bracket appears to be entirely capable of holding 4 of them.

I have been wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't change that rear bracket for the X570 bracket so I can add a sleeve hitch. I wonder if the X500 K72 bolt pattern is the same as the K57 in my X370? I wonder this because if I do get a sleeve hitch and try to actually use it, I suspect the K57 will not be up to the job.
Got a friend that did that On his X324 Changed Out the rear Hitch Plate He just uses the Manual sleeve Hitch to occasionally Pull a rear Blade to grade his Gravel driveway The 12 year Old X324 is still running strong:thThumbsU

·
X370 Fan
44 Posts
Thanks Sergeant! That's good to know. It is pretty much what I was thinking about doing. The rear plate is a just a straight swap out, 8 bolts and you're done. Priced here in Ontario, it is about $330 for the rear hitch plate and the extra frame plates, presumably stiffeners.
The K58 in that X324 is more or less the same as the K57 in my X370, so the kinds of light duty tasks I was considering are possible.
Funny thing though, the K57 3/4" axle is actually rated for a bit more static load than the K58 1".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently swapped out the K46 on my X300 for a K66 unit. I bought a new X500 Hitch plate from John Deere and it cost me $181.00 Plus shipping. Comparing the two hitch plates, the X500 hitch plate is made of thicker material and apparently can take up to 4 suitcase weights. I sourced my K66 (new) from a Surplus outlet and it cost me only $ 350.00 plus shipping. I have posted pictures and more details in another thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently swapped out the K46 on my X300 for a K66 unit. I bought a new X500 Hitch plate from John Deere and it cost me $181.00 Plus shipping. Comparing the two hitch plates, the X500 hitch plate is made of thicker material and apparently can take up to 4 suitcase weights. I sourced my K66 (new) from a Surplus outlet and it cost me only $ 350.00 plus shipping. I have posted pictures and more details in another thread.
Got inspired by projects like yours and bought a new K66 For my x300 while it is working well and the transmission has resale value. Was wondering which hubs you used to keep spacing good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got inspired by projects like yours and bought a new K66 For my x300 while it is working well and the transmission has resale value. Was wondering which hubs you used to keep spacing good.
I sourced a pair GT225 rims with installed tires from Craigslist at that time. They were 12" rims. It worked out perfect. I re-painted the rims with the JD Yellow so that it would match my tractor. My tractor has put in another 100 hours and the new tranny is working perfectly. No regrets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trying for 5 lug wheels. Bought already. Then found that G100 hubs have vanished except for a cartel of 4 that want $120 apiece. So, mebbe 4” keyway-ed steel coupler from Surplus Center welded to a 5 lug hub repair part from Tractor Supply. Should make a pseudo G100 hub for $30 and change. Mebbe shaky above 30 mph but fine otherwise. Will see if I can get it to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plus, can vary the length of the key to make a shear pin-like function that breaks before the transmission. Like the G100 hubs were designed to do. But lots cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Plus, can vary the length of the key to make a shear pin-like function that breaks before the transmission. Like the G100 hubs were designed to do. But lots cheaper to fix.
Try eBay or craigslist before you venture this route. I got the hubs from craigslist for less than $100.00 for the pair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Husqvarna star shaped hub. 586935402. Funky looking, but cheap. 1” hub. Almost too easy. Next hurdle is finding a second hand X500 hitch plate. Versus modifying.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts