My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Owner of The Bandit #55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring and converting a montgomery ward to a racing mower (nothing hardcore just for fun and experience). It has a 11 inch transmission pulley. I am planning to replace it with like a 5 inch pulley. Will I need to get a ne belt. What do I need to do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks folks

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'm assuming this is a manual tranny.

You certainly will need a new belt. If you have a variator style setup, it will take some trial and error to get the correct belts figured out.

Furthermore, with such a drastic change in the rear pulley diameter, you may have to relocate the mounts for the tensioner/idler/clutch pulleys.

·
Owner of The Bandit #55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. How should I measure it? Have someone hold the end of a measuring tape to somewhere on the tranny pulley and go through both other pulleys then engine pulley and back?

·
Owner of The Bandit #55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now i can't seem to get the transmission pulley off. I took off the top nut and i cant see anything else that needs to be taken off. When i pull it up it moves about a 1/4 inch. I think it might be rusted to the shaft and I might be pulling the shaft up and it goes back down. Any help?

·
Owner of The Bandit #55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright i got it off. I just had to beat the **** out of it. I'm thinking about making a blog for this. What do you guys think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts