My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been following the forums for a while now as I compared tractors and got ready for my big investment. I ended up settling on an JD x590 as my half wooded 5 acers needs a ton of work...lots of dirt hauling etc.

So I ordered a Johnny Bucket JR for it, and have an idea for mounting...but I'm having difficulty finding a quick-release for the wiring. Has anyone extended the wires (for the Joystick)? I'd like to be able to remove it with ease and not have to deal with the single wire quick connects....but I've been unable to find anything that will work for 14 gauge wire.

I don't mind soldering the extension on the other end, so just looking for ideas and help.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, my second post here....be nice to the new guy /please/!

·
2,112 Posts
Check out youtube...this is just one ...you may have to poke around to find a youtube more specific to your needs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I think that's enough of a pointer for even my dense brain to get.

Tybio

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
https://www.mcmaster.com/weather-pack-connectors

Amazon might have them cheaper.

You can make the connections without the super expensive crimpers, just solder the pins and sleeves to the leads directly. If you try to squeeze them on with just a pliers they'll pull off.
Those are the ones! I couldn't remember the name when I first saw this thread.

I got my JB Jr already installed on a tractor (bought both used). It has the twin wire connectors at the front of the tractor, as shown in the video above.

Good to know about the crimping.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I've gotten the items and done a short 3' test. I think I'm all set when the JBJr shows up :).

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
BTW, :Welcome1:

If there's one "rule" that we relentlessly follow here... :wwp:

Post some pics of what you have so far, and definitely come back and post pics of the finished product!!!

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will add pictures to a thread introducing my new x590 and JBJr in the next week or so :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went one step further with my JB Jr on my JD X530. I made a harness from the Joystick to the front of the tractor and installed a 4-pin waterproof connector on a homemade bracket bolted on the front piece across the frame. I the rewired the JB Jr with the 4-pin Mating connector. Quick, easy, reliable. Connector pair came from Amazon.

Amazon:
HangTon HE21 4 Pin Male Cable Plug Female Panel Socket Quick Disconnect Waterproof Aviation Circular Power Connector 30 Amp

I have a 48" JD Snowplow that I modified with 2 JB Jr actuators (for angle and lift) that uses the same connector! I also modified the plow to use the JB Jr mount.

Easy to swap them out!!! Joystick operation for both....

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Pics?????

Did you also make the joystick removable?

Do you plug the tractor-side connector when not in use to prevent dust and corrosion from causing problems?

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll take some pics tomorrow. The connector that stays on the tractor has a screw-on cap that is tethered to the mount.

I used inline connectors in the harness close to the joystick box. The harness and connectors are tywrapped under the hood. Disconnect and the joystick comes off.

I promise pics tomorrow.....

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this!

I have one tractor with a JB Jr, with those annoying toggle switches.

I have another tractor with a snowblower attachment that I'd like to electrify (chute controls at minimum).

It would be great to be able to use one joystick between the two machines.

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey all,

I've been following the forums for a while now as I compared tractors and got ready for my big investment. I ended up settling on an JD x590 as my half wooded 5 acers needs a ton of work...lots of dirt hauling etc.

So I ordered a Johnny Bucket JR for it, and have an idea for mounting...but I'm having difficulty finding a quick-release for the wiring. Has anyone extended the wires (for the Joystick)? I'd like to be able to remove it with ease and not have to deal with the single wire quick connects....but I've been unable to find anything that will work for 14 gauge wire.

I don't mind soldering the extension on the other end, so just looking for ideas and help.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, my second post here....be nice to the new guy /please/!
Have you considered permanently wiring the joystick in the dash? Mine Works well that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the JB Jr several years ago so I opted to mount the joystick in a waterproof box. I may consider a dash mount....

I think that can be done...maybe also modify the snowblower so it can use the JB Jr mount...that way you don't have to swap out mounts...

I think we should e-mail....I'll find out how I can get you my e-mail.

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are the pics:
055 shows the 4pin connector mounted to the front of the JB Jr. Mount w/cover in place.
060 shows the JB Jr's harness w/ connector not connected.
061 shows the JB Jr's harness w/ connector connected.
063 shows the snow plow w/ lift and angle actuators and the connector connected.
064 shows the new high mount for the lift actuator on the snow plow.
058 shows my box for the joystick.
059 shows the back of the joystick box.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Very well done, and thanks for the pics!

Is that a JB-issued joystick?

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes it is. I am changing the wiring scheme to the same style connector (except now a 6pin) and I'm going to mount it on the dash and use a harness connector for the 4 actuator wires and power. That should clean it up nicely and still allow me to remove the box.

In the fourth pic you can see my snow plow mount modification to the JB Jr. mount. (below the connector, bottom right of pic). The plow plugs in exactly like the JB Jr., connector and mount!

I sent you a private message with my e-mail address. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Awesome! Keeping the info here is good to help others (now and down the road).

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts