1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
145 Posts
95 - ~02 models used a Hydro Gear 3010L series hydro that had a external replaceable filter. You can ID these quickly by looking for a vertically mounted pulley on the right side of the hydro. This was a separate pump bolted to a axle. These were on models labeled GT6000, GT3000 and just GT. Square hood models and green round hood models. Models with this trans also had the gas cap on the rear of the tractor.

~02 - 05 models used a Hydro Gear 3000 series hydro that did not have a external replaceable filter. You can ID these models by their top mounted horizontal pulley. These models integrated the pump internally into the axle. These were on models labeled GT5000. Red, black, and tan round hood models. This models also had the gas cap on the left fender.

The 3010L is usually considered to be the better hydro being a little more stout and having that replaceable oil filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95 - ~02 models used a Hydro Gear 3010L series hydro that had a external replaceable filter. You can ID these quickly by looking for a vertically mounted pulley on the right side of the hydro. This was a separate pump bolted to a axle. These were on models labeled GT6000, GT3000 and just GT. Square hood models and green round hood models. Models with this trans also had the gas cap on the rear of the tractor.

~02 - 05 models used a Hydro Gear 3000 series hydro that did not have a external replaceable filter. You can ID these models by their top mounted horizontal pulley. These models integrated the pump internally into the axle. These were on models labeled GT5000. Red, black, and tan round hood models. This models also had the gas cap on the left fender.

The 3010L is usually considered to be the better hydro being a little more stout and having that replaceable oil filter.

Exactly what I wanted to know...Thanks!!

So all the gear drives (3x2 speed transaxle) are the same, and have the vertical pulley?

Only asking cause I did some work for a customer on one of those, got to drive it a bit and really liked it!

Not a pro repair guy, but just do stuff on the side. Those gear drive ones seem smooth and fairly stout!

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I love the foot-controlled hydro on my new-to-me GT. It's convenient and "nimble", for lack of a better word (vs my previous geared tranny), and has no lack of power so far.

But I will admit that if I just wanted something for serious pulling duty (and had the luxury of keeping multiple tractors), I would seriously consider a high/low range geared tranny. It should presumably be able to put all the power down to the ground, and in Low range, can make a lot of torque. And there's less concerns with it wearing out over time, vs a hydro.

But I don't think they have a locking differential, which would be a downside for that use. You'd have to use the normal "tricks" of grippier tires, and adding weight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So all the gear drives (3x2 speed transaxle) are the same, and have the vertical pulley?
Correct. This is a very nice transaxle and would be my choice if you plan to do a lot of heavy duty work. There is a reason this transaxle changed very little in it's 40+ years of production.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My model number is 917.275972. It's a beast, I've plowed snow and dirt, mowed 3.5 acre lawn, hauled wood, dirt etc. with an oversized cart.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other question.
So what time period were these "GT" versions made, with the Frame that is much higher in the back?

Or more specifically, when did they go away from this design. As far as I can tell around 2006 with the GT5000 series.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts