My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to break something while trying to fix something. While reassembling things after replacing the starter I got some cowling/covers on wrong. Upon trying to start the mower the plastic cooling fan got half eaten. Looks like about 1/2 the fins are partially broken off. Can anyone venture a judgement as to how much damage the fan can take without risking the engine overheating? There a couple of photos of the damage attached.

Light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas
Chair Wood Automotive tire Table Gas
Light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas
Chair Wood Automotive tire Table Gas

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,783 Posts
You can take out the spark plug and feed in some rope into the cylinder (leaving some hanging out so you can pull it out later). The rope will stop the piston/crankshaft from moving, so you can remove & torque down the flywheel bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been maybe 20 yrs since my flywheel encounter with our little John Deere. I could really have used that trick back then. I like it, that solves that problem! Found another one when testing the new starter thus afternoon. Somehow the brand new battery got drained while sitting in the shed. All I can think of is some weird Murray kinda design that drains your battery if you leave the ignition switch in the on position. The headlights are controlled by a separate switch. I'm a reluctant mechanic and didn't learn stuff until much later in life. So this crap gets frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts