My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 21 HP 42 inch cut 6 speed , Bob Vila Signature Series craftman mower.

Does anyone here have one?
IS 650 a good price for this, it has 330 hours on it.(i figured what the heck)
can i get replacement parts for it? I did do a quick check at sears parts and googling the mower doesn't help much, but lead me to you guys(which is a good thing from my searching)

thanks for your time and help
theyardmakers :fing32:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I had one with 38 hours on it early in the season, the engine was blown. They are basically a premium Sears lawn tractor. The "signature series" adds a comfy seat, 4 deck rollers, and the padded steering wheel. I would think that $650 is a reasonable price if it is in excellent mechanical condition, it is no steal, but a fair price if it is in good shape. That tractor new was $1,800 plus tax and accessories.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shifter feels a little tight, it doesn't glide between gears. the owner said it was like that from day one.

how did your's feel? also when you start up the blads they are a little noisey, any thoughts on that?

thanks for info

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
The shifter could have been tight from new, but is not normal. There is a detent on top of the transmission to adjust shifting tension, you will most likely need to remove the trans to do it, I do them in, but I have done 100's of them. The blades should make a whirring sound similar to a vacuum any other noise and either a pulley or spindle are bad or a blade is loose.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am guessing it to be spindles as it is more then just a wind wirl
if it was spindles, could those be left until extra money was around, or do they begin to affect other things.

tym

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Depends on how bad they are, before purchasing it and with the engine OFF. Grab each blade and try to shake it, if the lower bearing is out they will move and you really shouldn't use it that way, if the bearings are just loud you can run them, but no telling when they will blow all together. Entire spindle assemblys aren't that expensive.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QYwu-f-a9w

i bought it, i upped a video on youtube (link above)
i used my phone it is dark and sound is rough but maybe you can here something that a trained ear might know. i turned blades on and off a few times and ran it at low idle just turned it up a sec at beginning

i wiggled the blades and they did move...the whole thing it was attached to had a slight movement

thanks for all the help and advice

tym

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
That video was terrible, I thought the tractor had died, but the sound just wasn't there. Pull the deck out from under it, remove the tension from the pulleys and wiggle the blades. IF the bearings are completely gone already they will wiggle A LOT, if the bearing are worn they will just move a little. If it were mine, and I were trying to do it on the cheap, I would pull the blades off and make sure that the shafts are not ruined on the ends, drive the 2 bearings out of 1 spindle and take them to napa or similar and just order new bearings.

That will insure that you do not trash what may be good now and save you money for the future. DO NOT attempt to remove the spindles from the deck, you will break the bolts in them and render them useless.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
yes, those are the parts that I was referring to, that bearing seems to be a reasonable price, but you will pay for shipping, take that part number to your local napa or call them. They have an outdoor power book and can cross that number.

BEFORE ORDERING PARTS THAT YOU DON'T NEED do what I told you and remove the deck and confirm the parts that need to be replaced.

I order from a distributor.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more bad imagery, sorry low tek over here

these blade are dull as heck almost look flat

the red arrow shows wear there was some rust the round area, loosened belts everything felt pretty solid, tiny wiggle, i am guessing from the rust that the bearing are pretty worn.

here it is while i was looking it over.

now you said the drive the bearing out, it looks like these need to be removed by removing the spindles, any advice on how to remove these if possible, also is some wd40 ok to hit them with, since water wasn't suppose to be left on them either.

thanks
tym

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
re-read post number 8. Now take the deck out from under the tractor, in order to remove the spindle shafts you need to remove the pulleys from the top of the spindle, then with a brass hammer or rubber mallet drive the shafts out towards the bottom of the deck. You are now able to remove the bearings from the spindles. The shaft pictured looks fine, if the other looks the same and the star is intact, it can be reused as well. Replace the blades and bearings.

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello,
still got the mower going, went thru original belt got a replacement and went thru that, but i think that one was just cheap, just ordered this::
Max Power 336317 Blade Drive Belt For Poulan/Craftsman 174883
http://www.amazon.com/Power-336317-Poulan-Craftsman-174883/dp/B003VPANIA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1308371659&sr=1-4

this broke from somewere related to the deck and got bungie cords holding up one side until i figure out what part it is and the replacement part..
i looked at the manual but couldnt match it to anything drawn

so is that belt i ordered any good?

and does anyone know what the part name that broke that i need is?

thanks for reading

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
is it a draft arm of the front of the deck? If it is it would be pulling forward, and up on the front of the deck, under the front axle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hello,
still got the mower going, went thru original belt got a replacement and went thru that, but i think that one was just cheap, just ordered this::
Max Power 336317 Blade Drive Belt For Poulan/Craftsman 174883
http://www.amazon.com/Power-336317-Poulan-Craftsman-174883/dp/B003VPANIA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1308371659&sr=1-4

this broke from somewere related to the deck and got bungie cords holding up one side until i figure out what part it is and the replacement part..
i looked at the manual but couldnt match it to anything drawn

so is that belt i ordered any good?

and does anyone know what the part name that broke that i need is?

thanks for reading
What you have there is called a front link. It is missing the hooked part, which broke off. That hooked or bent end hooks through a hole on the tabs on the front of the deck, and is held on by an r pin.

Google Sears parts direct, go there and enter your model number (it's under the seat) You will find drawings and parts lists of every part of your tractor.
Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice you have a manual. You can find the part on the Lift Assembly page. Probably key number 22, Mine says it's part number 127218, calls it a link, front. Bob

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I didn't notice you have a manual. You can find the part on the Lift Assembly page. Probably key number 22, Mine says it's part number 127218, calls it a link, front. Bob

SWEET my manual is playing hide and seek with me right now.. will find it now that i got a lead.. ty

:thanku:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Ahh, I remember this tractor, how has the service been from it? You already got info on the front deck link, have you replaced/rebuilt the spindles?

Dan

·
landscaper/web developer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ok found the part i need i think, it looks like there is a right and left, not too much money(if sitting on mower its the left side i need/the opposite side of the deck lowering arm)::

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Craftsman-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/151140/0071/917/Model-917274031/0247/1509200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=917274031&subCompDesc=Lift%20assembly&brandDesc=CRAFTSMAN&modelDesc=TRACTOR&blt=11

a full view of piece i need::

my mower details are:: Model #917274031 - Craftsman Tractor
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/Model-917274031/0247/1509200?sid=PDVertical

@eddyyy302 i havent done the spindles yet... been running pretty good up to shredding the replacement belt (i think it was a cheapy)

ty guys for help and advice

update that is the right side one, i was told on phone its the other i need which is the left

1 - 19 of 19 Posts