My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The tires and wheels look cheap on both. Doesn't say what gauge metal the box is made from on either. I would go with the cheaper one if I was buying one of those, it's welded together. You may want to look for one with bigger tires and heavier gauge metal if you want something that will last. By not telling the metal gauge tells me it very light weight. I look at a few yard trailers on the internet and none tell the metal gauge. That's a good price and may be the same as other low price 10 cubic ft. carts, just don't expect to much for any of them.

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice from this forum as usual, thank you DonF makes me really think. Feels more and more like a "you get what you pay for" sort of situation.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Great advice from this forum as usual, thank you DonF makes me really think. Feels more and more like a "you get what you pay for" sort of situation.
Definitely you get what you pay for in a cart! I did look at the ones at TSC but ended up with this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202559...&productId=202559830&R=202559830#.UWiDcpPijEY

That one is very rugged! I've been very pleased with it! HD sells this type all the way down to a 9 CU FT size for $99 They are way better quality than the ones at TSC! Made by OHIO Steel if you are wondering.

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike1316 - I have been raging back and forth (with myself) about carts. I really like the JD carts at Home Depot, but can't decide on the size. The 17p would be fantastic for moving more stuff at once, but way too large for my wife to use for her garden. I "think" I have settled on the JD 10p from HD, but have read A LOT about the problem with dumping stuff out of it. The back sits on the ground flat and you have to shovel everything out of it. The steel carts, with tailgates, solve that issue, but then you have denting/scratching/rusting to deal with. The 10p seems to offer the best for my needs, however I know that when I buy it I will keep thinking "what if"!

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely you get what you pay for in a cart! I did look at the ones at TSC but ended up with this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202559...&productId=202559830&R=202559830#.UWiDcpPijEY

That one is very rugged! I've been very pleased with it! HD sells this type all the way down to a 9 CU FT size for $99 They are way better quality than the ones at TSC! Made by OHIO Steel if you are wondering.
Just as I settle on a cart, someone comes along with a FANTASTIC alternative. This one looks amazing, will check it out!

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Where did you buy your D160?

I know that at HD and lowes, they have a free cart with the purchase of a tractor. :dunno:

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you buy your D160?

I know that at HD and lowes, they have a free cart with the purchase of a tractor. :dunno:
I bought mine at Home Depot, but in Canada. We don't have the offer of the free 7p cart here, so have to go shopping. :fing20:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just as I settle on a cart, someone comes along with a FANTASTIC alternative. This one looks amazing, will check it out!
I love it! Rugged, dumps easy, and a very handy feature you can bolt on a standard trailer hitch to it and attach the trailer via 1 7/8 ball. Which is exactly what I did.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
I bought mine at Home Depot, but in Canada. We don't have the offer of the free 7p cart here, so have to go shopping. :fing20:
Here in the States the Lowe's/Home Depot promo is an 8Y cart- a terrible, cheap, wretch of a cart that John Deere should never have put their name on.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, etc. I just picked up a lightly used John Deere 10P cart for $100 which was a **** nice price!

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here in the States the Lowe's/Home Depot promo is an 8Y cart- a terrible, cheap, wretch of a cart that John Deere should never have put their name on.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, etc. I just picked up a lightly used John Deere 10P cart for $100 which was a **** nice price!

oefveteran - it is funny that you should post that picture. I saw your pics on the "let's see your pictures" thread and it sealed the deal on the cart I wanted! You have the same tractor I have (D160) and your pictures showed me the scale of the cart vs. the tractor and got me to decide on the 10p! Scouring all of the used sites, but no luck so far. If nothing comes up in the next few days, it will be off to Home Depot.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Mike1316 - I have been raging back and forth (with myself) about carts. I really like the JD carts at Home Depot, but can't decide on the size. The 17p would be fantastic for moving more stuff at once, but way too large for my wife to use for her garden. I "think" I have settled on the JD 10p from HD, but have read A LOT about the problem with dumping stuff out of it. The back sits on the ground flat and you have to shovel everything out of it. The steel carts, with tailgates, solve that issue, but then you have denting/scratching/rusting to deal with. The 10p seems to offer the best for my needs, however I know that when I buy it I will keep thinking "what if"!
Why would it be too large for her to use? Unless you have a real small yard, or real tight spaces there is no real issues using one over the other. Just the bigger one has the extra room if you need it

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
22,347 Posts
Why would it be too large for her to use? Unless you have a real small yard, or real tight spaces there is no real issues using one over the other. Just the bigger one has the extra room if you need it
:ditto:

An annual occurence for the folks in the Ottawa valley is the collection of Mother Nature's colourful autumn treats. A 17 cu-ft cart will hold a lot more of them than a 10 cu-ft cart. I collect 4 full loads with my 17 cu-ft cart off of my 35'x55' front lawn, 6 off my rental's 40'x75' front lawn, and another 3 out of the back yard at the rental.

Bigger is definitely better! :fing32:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Personally, I prefer the JD carts, I've picked most of mine up from Craigslist. The 10P is my main user, my older ones are all "show Queens" anymore! If your hauling a lot of dirt, the "P" series does have a dumping problem, but for most anything I use, I can live with that. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
hey, 300 plus
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
grnspot110 - I really like the side rails you have on the 10p. Great idea to allow it to haul more. I saw a couple of build your own projects in the forums for that cart (awesome projects), but are yours factory?

Should be picking up my 10p tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
grnspot110 - I really like the side rails you have on the 10p. Great idea to allow it to haul more. I saw a couple of build your own projects in the forums for that cart (awesome projects), but are yours factory?

Should be picking up my 10p tomorrow.
I made the sides from salvaged lawnmower crates from our local Husqvarna/Dixon dealer, re-sawn yellow pine. ~~ grnspot

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I will post a video of how I dump my 10P. You don't even have to get out of the seat. Reach back and pull the release lever and then back up. The back edge of the cart will dig in and the dump box will flip upside down dumping the load. When you pull forward the box pops back rightside up and latches. You do need to have the cart loaded a bit tail heavy. This IS probably abuse but backs, necks and shoulders cost more to replace than dump carts.

What I actually use nowadays is my Gator HPX :) It's high enough off the ground to dump completely.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts