My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kubota L2501
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, I'm shopping around as you could tell from my posts. I figured I asked the guys that know more then me about these machines.
Any input about a 2003 CC 2518? With 353hrs, 44" deck, 42" snowblower, wieghts/chains, CC utility cart, 20HP Kohler, new front tires, new battery last fall. Very well maintained. Owner asking just over $2,000. Pictures look nice. Any thoughts on that price? I couldn't find much online to compare.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Super Moderator
16,350 Posts
Well it compare's to a Cub Cadet GT2544. It sounds like a Good price with all the attachments. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yep, it's essentially the 2544 and a good price at that. Probably a tad more hours than your average owner would do, but you could tell by a good look-over if it was used and stored properly.

Joel

·
Registered
2020 Kubota L2501
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of this morning, I became the new owner of this package. All for just under $2000. Very nice guy I bought it from. I had no problem buying from him. Machine was very well maintained. Now if I could only get out work early to play..uhh..I mean work on the lawn. I'm sure it needs to be cut!

:trink40:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wish you had seen this sooner, but here's the deal; I have a 2518 with the Kohler Command 20HP twin. It has 135 hours on it, and it's just had a major engine failure. One of the valve seats fell out, lodge under the valve. The piston hit the valve as well. It needs at least a new head, valve, push rod, etc.. plus many hours of labor (on the 2518, you cannot dis-assemble the engine without removing it due to interference between engine bolts and frame rails).

Looking around, it seems that Kohler engines, including yours, have defective cylinder head bolts, causing head gasket leakage. Here's a link to some more info: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg070912502406.html

You might want to check this out ASAP, I think your lucky it's gotten 353 hours without engine failure. Like I said, mine made 135 hours, and it's been babied the whole time. BTW, here's my head:

http://www.test-equipment.net/temp/kohler.jpg

good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Again TENet, I feel for you bro, but still think with some persistence, you'll get reimbursement for your troubles. Must of us have been involved in these boards for years and you are the FIRST Kohler Command twin, valve seat related engine failure that's on here. Do a search. 10's of thousands of hours on these engines on these forums. I'm sure you're going to get 1 out of thousands that could loose a pressed in valve seat. It happens. I'm with you though. I wouldn't even consider a ~$1500 OEM re-power to one of these tractors. I'd either rig it home-made style (A chinese 16hp OHV maybe for $400ish) or toss it before I tossed that kind of money into one.

Joel

·
Registered
2020 Kubota L2501
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warning and info. I'll check it out. Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open for this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Kubota L2501
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
diesel_nut, thanks.
I've used it a few times now and it has a very nice, even cut. One think I noticed, or should I say my wife noticed, was that when the deck is engaged it seems to be very loud. Is this typical? Maybe I'm not used to it. I was using a Gravely 8199 and a 40" deck before this which wasn't as loud.

Eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my 2518 brand new in 03. It has 203 hours on it now. The only problem I've had with mine is the index brackets (look like fingers) that set the height of any impliment (mower deck, plow, snowblower) with the handle, I've had to replace because of hitting rocks while plowing snow. It makes plowing snow sort of fun cause when you plow snow into the pile the blade raises automaticly. LOL I replaced the blades with Gator blades and love them! Enjoy your purchase and run it like ya stole it LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts