My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dere;

I smoked the belt ( 174224 ) on the Simplicity 42" blower and want to know where you guys buy, what type( kevlar, true blue, etc.), what place, etc?
I spent a lot on the originhal belt OEM and wonder how much to pay for the thing , without getting killed on it.

all the best

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,426 Posts
A lot of guys swear by the OEM Simplicity belts, and I have to say, I'm still running a LOT of them that were on equipment when I bought it and still keep going. I grab what I can, in a pinch which usually means blue or sometimes even kevlar at TSC, since they are close.

I've only smoked one, and that was on my Weedcutter when I stuffed it into a hillside.

·
Registered
57 Posts
back when I used front pto on 7010 I smoked a few gates green belts. Now I have had good luck with the TSC kevlars or 4belts4less.com kevlar but they seem thinner than the simplicity version. I took burntimes advice and went to napa A144 for the blowers and love them they are deep and look near identical to the simplicity one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Hotrod;

Yep, that 16 HP Briggs was really digging the work till the belt let go. Went way out back and found the beltthis morning , got cracks on it in about a 12 inch area. So, belts let go, specially when the front PTO clutch rod come out, locked up the front clutch drive , smoking the belt till it bubbled! I was out ther throwing snow on it watch the hub bubble from the heat, so jsut grateful not to have had a fire. A good policy to follow is to stop the tractor when you happen to see black smoke! LOL

I got a coupla Kevlars on order, and prolee gonna try what you say from Burntime on the Napa belt.

Ever hear of that belt "flipping" during operation? I got a mild theory going that somehow the belt got sideways and ssent it out. Alignments is good, so is the spring tension.

all the best

back when I used front pto on 7010 I smoked a few gates green belts. Now I have had good luck with the TSC kevlars or 4belts4less.com kevlar but they seem thinner than the simplicity version. I took burntimes advice and went to napa A144 for the blowers and love them they are deep and look near identical to the simplicity one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have used that napa A144 also on my AC 916H with a 42" blower using the mid pto. It worked great all last winter, no trying this year as of yet in KC area it is 53 deg. as I write this. Not complaining would like some seat time though. Having withdrawl from mowing. Great forum and answers for all.

Tom Oliver Hotwire

·
Registered
57 Posts
yup have seen belts flip. It happens more with shallow belts that are not as deep, hence why I like OEM or napas. All around the front pto setup is harder on belts as tehy twist so much.... why for 7100 they went to rear pto.

Best way I know to prevent belt flip is add belt guards. They are cheap and if you end stopping by I got a couple you can have for free. Basically a L bracket that almost rubs tight in the pulley and keeps belt from turning.

I think single stage blowers are harder on belt as you have to ram the snow to keep auger full and that "shocks" the blower and belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.