My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Simplicity dealer is closed for the weekend and, since I'm in that pre-purchase lustful fantasy stage, I can't wait for an answer to a pretty naive question. I posted a question here a few days ago and got some very helpful responses (thanks!!!!). I'm looking at the Conquest, if I can afford it, because I need to move a lot of wood every year and it sounds like the transmission is better on the Conquest than the Broadmoor. But because much of my mowing (1+ acres) is in tight spaces in a small orchard, a smaller deck (44 or even 38) is probably better for me than a 50". The Conquest has a 44" but apparently that model has a Kohler Courage engine and the bigger decks come with a B&S Vanguard, which I hear is a very solid engine. So (unless everyone tells me that either the Broadmoor Tuff Torq 57 is as good as the TT66 for my purposes, OR unless everyone tells me that the Courage is as good as the Vanguard for my purposes), here's my question: Can I put a 44" mowing deck on a model that is supposed to come with a 50"?? If so, is that something that the dealer would be willing to do? (I may have to order the Conquest anyway.) I'm sorry to be so clueless...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe you can order a Conquest without the deck and order a smaller deck also - probably cost more but I would run with a Vanguard, but I'm biased since that's what's in my Conquest. Unless the 50 wont fit between your trees and shrubs it actually may be better than you think. It's actually easier to get close and cut near shrubs and trees with a bigger deck, at least that's the case with me - I too originally wanted a 44 but got a 50 instead and am very happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I'm just not sure about size. This may sound silly but I was outside this morning with a tape measure, measuring the space between bushes. Some are 48"-50" between the mulchings (not the plants); that tractor (and its driver) had better have pretty precise steering!

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I ordered my Prestige, the 54" mower deck was a separate line item on the order. I don't know for sure, but that leads me to believe you can indeed order the deck separately from the mower.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Northman.
Go with the Vanguard either way. I have a 44" deck on mine. Don't forget about the deflector on the mower deck also. That adds a few inches.

Kevin

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have a 54" on my Conquest, and for trimming it is great, since it sticks out so far on the side. However, as others have said, it is hard to get in tight places - there are a couple of places here that I can't get into with it. Since I mow 3 acres, I wanted the size. I ordered mine with the 54" deck. It had a 44" in the showroom, but the dealer got the 54" from somewhere and put it on for me, a direct swap.
A caveat - if your mulch is lightweight, the deck may suck some up if you get too close. Guess how I learned that?
I have the Vanguard, and so far it's been rock solid (~120 hrs.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Northman.
Go with the Vanguard either way. I have a 44" deck on mine. Don't forget about the deflector on the mower deck also. That adds a few inches.
I took my deflector off before I even mowed the first time. I'm not saying either way, but it's an option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! I hope the dealer(s) around here will be honest and candid, but it's incredibly helpful to be armed with this information and experience. The dealer I've spoken with doesn't have one in stock anyway so I'll have to talk with them about ordering it. I want the thing NOW--the grass is growing--but I *need* it by late summer to get this #^$&$ wood moved!
I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now renewed thanks to this great forum. I'm pumped for this machine!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The shipping time on the Conquest is not too bad. My only problem was when I purchased mine I had to go with the Kohler engine because of the 44 deck size. Since my original problems with the Kohler 3 times back to the shop for huge puffs of oil smoke they fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts