My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a Qt17, 1979, Onan 16 hp that sounds great, looks good, what's it worth? I've not seen the deck but was told there was one small hole in it. Guy said it was a 3 blade 46", does that sound right? It has good rubber, Ag treads on the rear, comes with a set of chains and a Bolens front blade. Is $400 a
reasonable price based on this bit of info?

Now to the future, are there any recurring problems common to this model, are attachments available( particularly FEL), anything I need to know about the joy of Bolens ownership?

I'd appreciate the input of all!:thanku:

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
I think the price sounds good if it is all the owner says it it. I think that the Onan parts are expensive and hard to find should you have engine troubles. That would be the only drawback that I can think of but they are a solid tough well built machine for sure.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To ed-nh and BOSMECH, thanks for the input. I feel better hearing from folks who know this type tractor. Anyone else have more to add, particularly about implements available. I hope to eventually be "light" farming about 8 acres with this tractor. By "light" I mean pasture, hay, and corn sufficient to raise 1 or 2 calves for family beef; family garden, some berries, and maybe an orchard.

All input is welcome.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Aren't the QT tractors the ones that have the PTO that turns opposite of the other Bolens tractors? If this is the case then the attachments that run from the PTO would be specific to that family.

Mike

·
Registered
829 Posts
If it is a QT17 then it should have a 17HP kohler series2.And be whit boby with a dark green frame and dash tower.It sounds more like a QT16 which is a 16HP onan with white boby and black frame and dash tower.Both are good tractors and use the same attachments which are hard to find and only for that series of tractors.If it is in good shape with what it has would be a fair price.They did make FEL'S for the tractors but i have only seen one in person.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it is a QT17 then it should have a 17HP kohler series2.And be whit boby with a dark green frame and dash tower.It sounds more like a QT16 which is a 16HP onan with white boby and black frame and dash tower.Both are good tractors and use the same attachments which are hard to find and only for that series of tractors.If it is in good shape with what it has would be a fair price.They did make FEL'S for the tractors but i have only seen one in person.
There's one with a FEL over here that has been on CL for the past two years at the same price....$2000. I think your tractor with a blade is definitely worth the $400 if everything works. Let's see some pics if you got 'em.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Kentucky wildcat, GR8HTBOLENS has a tiller you might be interested in. Look him up, he's in Indy, not too far from you. See his post 'New to forum, need help with S14D',

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ratboy, thanks for the heads-up on the tiller but a friend dropped off a Rotohoe last winter and it will do all that I need. Speaking of the rotohoe, manufacturers sure weren't afraid to put some steel into tools back then were they.

As to the Bolens tractor, I've got to get it. Time to sell off some parts mowers and tillers for the cash. Thanks for all the advice. I'll post pictures when it's mine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The QT series included the QS16, single cylinder Kohler 16hp, QT16 twin cylinder Kohler KT17hp series one (bad) and series ll (okay) motors, and the QT19 Twin cylinder KT19hp, Later models 1600 and 2000 Eliminator share many of the same parts. Most of the decks I've seen are 48 and 54 inch for the QT models. I've never seen a bigger font axle on anything and that shaft drive is great. Three point lift is a must, and not too difficult to find or fabricate

·
Registered
829 Posts
The QT series included the QS16, single cylinder Kohler 16hp, QT16 twin cylinder Kohler KT17hp series one (bad) and series ll (okay) motors, and the QT19 Twin cylinder KT19hp, Later models 1600 and 2000 Eliminator share many of the same parts. Most of the decks I've seen are 48 and 54 inch for the QT models. I've never seen a bigger font axle on anything and that shaft drive is great. Three point lift is a must, and not too difficult to find or fabricate
The QT16 had a twin cylinder 16hp onan the QT17 had a twin cylinder kohler kt17 17hp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts