My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the little Yazoo up and running with a good carb and tank cleaning and its a fine mower but I have a problem. The motor runs perfect for about 15 mins. then abruptly dies with no warning.You can immediatly restart it but runs rough and if it does run fine it dies again in about 5 mins but the second time it sputters abit and lets you know its gonna quit.This acts like a coil but it restarts quickly. If it were a carb problem i would think it would not die suddenly.Could it be vapor locking somehow.?

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just talked to a friend of mine who says these motors are bad about dying unless they are full of gas.It does run a long time when its full until the gas in the tank starts going down.Somehow they have a hard time lifting the gas and he recommends keeping the tank full until it starts acting up then topping it off again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have come across that with the carb over the has tank before. I would also sugest keeping it full.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
You ought to figure out just how low the fuel can get before it starts acting up.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
You ought to figure out just how low the fuel can get before it starts acting up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Early in the morning and my old eyes..
Looks like an Auto Choke...

I sold two mowers with that auto choke and they both came back, telling me the same thing.. I switched out the carbs to Primer bulb carb and off went two happy customers..

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
yep -same problem here . the auto choke is a pos desighn. i disabled mine and just prime it with gas down the carb. these engins are notorous for starting problems anyway aND also the die at half a tank routine.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I've been messing with those autochoke carbs since the late 80's and in my opinion they are one of the best carb designs of all time. Maybe I've had good luck, but if you know how to rebuild them they can be virtually trouble free. I hate the primer style carbs. They are plastic junk and the screw holes are spaced too far apart so the diaphragms don't seal worth a crap.

The only Briggs carbs I've had problems with changing mixture when the gas runs low are the old Flo Jet style carbs. When the gas gets below half tank they start to run fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts