My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Daryl G
859 Posts
One of the most common pieces of 'flat' are the marble pieces sold for window sills, and you can use them for backing sandpaper while 'decking' your jug of cylinder head.

Roger,
Roger,
That is an interesting suggestion. To add slightly to that… if there is a marble installer local, I bet that you could stop by and ask permission to get a piece of scrap marble from their refuse pile. There is an installer close to us and behind their shop is a small hill of marble remnants – plenty of which are large enough for performing the type of head work required. My wife and I rummaged through our local marble supplier’s pile (with their permission) to find a specific color combination that we were looking for. This approach could work wonderfully for getting a stable, flat surface to smooth the bottom of the head - I love free!!!

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
jrd,
The last head gasket I purchased was anything but squishy.
It's all relative. A thicker gasket which is composite with some kind of fibrous core, will compress under load more than a thinner gasket, or one which is for instance all metal. I haven't measured it, but I'd expect a gravely T head gasket to compress at least several thousandths when torqued down.

Hmmm. I've got some old gaskets lying around, plus dial indicators and a hydraulic press. Maybe I should try it and see what I get :)

There are lots of references to construction of head gaskets for different use cases. See for instance What?s what? The facts of Gasket Materials ? SCE Gaskets

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The new one I have is very squishy and seems to actually be kinda thick and made of a soft material and would certainly fill a small air gap I would think, depending on what kind of pressure is in the leak or would-be leak. There are pics of it on here but I dont know if you can tell what its made of but I did get it from an actual Gravely place as in the old place in Dunbar W.Va.
But its kinda strange to think that a warp that could cause so many problems can be small enuf to be smoothed or leveled out by hand. I mean if to much metal is removed the valves will be slamming into the top of the head or you could possibly have plug probs as well.
All of my thoughts are just that and are metaphoric in nature so Im not challenging anyone's experience on here thats for sure. I hope mine is OK because it has a fresh bore job done to it and the gasket (if thats what you wanna call it) that was on it was hardly much more than a piece of paper so my new one would be 5 times as thick as what was left on it, and whoever bored it must have reused the old gasket I would think.

·
Daryl G
859 Posts
The last one I purchased definitely does not have a fibrous center; however, the old gasket I replaced did. I was worried about the new gasket's ability to seal before it was even installed - it was rigid, I mean rigid and hard. $15 for a head gasket that performed poorly... I will not buy these 'new improved material' gaskets again. It seals better now but the head had to be leveled first (the old head gasket never had a problem with sealing). I guess others have not had bad experiences with these???

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
IM looking at mine (head gasket) and its dark grey in color and seems like it has a thin metal gasket in the middle sandwiched by this kinda plyable carbon fiber looking stuff on the top, I say top because one side seems to certainly be the bottom side of it. Its prolly 2mm thick almost just to look at it, maybe even 3. Its in this pic but you have to up-size it to see if you can tell anything about it, and thats the top-side. Dang thats to blurry, let me try the other one. IMG_20170225_164141.jpg er one. IMG_20170225_164141.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts