My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the 15w-40 engine oil I use in the engine as assembly lube or do I need something special?

Also, any ideas on what would make a good substitute for a ring compressor?

:thanku:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
A wide hose clamp will work if you are very careful and take your time...but if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have them on sale for like 5-7 dollars sometimes.

Use motor oil, assmebly lube is a no no on a splash lubed engine.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A wide hose clamp will work if you are very careful and take your time...but if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have them on sale for like 5-7 dollars sometimes.

Use motor oil, assmebly lube is a no no on a splash lubed engine.
ok, thanks! I will hope fully have it running by friday.:fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
No real substitute for a GOOD ring compressor,but I assembled many engines using a worm gear hose clamp,or some thin sheet metal like roof flashing coiled up like the real thing ,along with the hose clamp...sometimes you can compress & put the rings in with just your fingers if your careful,but they might get cut...

I use plian old motor oil most of the time when assembling a fresh engine,but LUCAS or STP will be OK too...I would not use white lube type assembly lube or any other greasy stuff for the reason Red explained--you have no oil pump or pressure ,so oil might not get into the tight spaces because of the grease quickly enough,and could lead to scoring or other trouble...

The most important steps are making sure the connecting rod is put in facing the right way,and the "match marks" line up,if it has any..that and making sure the timing gears are lined up correctly...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts