My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was looking at the bed in my truck today and its rusted pretty bad in some spots and i got to thinking why not make it a dually and build a flatbed on the back of it? them diamond plate it. i would probably leave the front end alone for now, the one ton thing would be mostly for looks because the single rear tire looks dumb with a flat bed im not looking to haul any more with the one ton rear end mostly for looks im thinking it would look pretty good

now would it be a direct fit or would i have to drill new holes and align everything?

oh and its an 1985 gmc sierra classic 4x4

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Easiest to do by using the one ton springs also, and removing a couple of leaves. The spring perches/pads are different between the 2. THe spring mountings on the frames also, but it is easier to rework that than adapting to the springs.....

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
in my opinion Not worth until you have money and time.

those rear axle with dually like my F350 are weight close 400 pounds vs your stock rear axle 12 bolt weight like 180 pounds.

That your Idea I was suppose to do with my 79 F150 until my Dad say not worth and it would bent frame and worn out fast. That how I bought 93 F350.

SRW with flatbed look better than Dually to me.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,680 Posts
The one ton rear axle is going to cause some problems with your 4WD.

You will have to make sure the rearend gears are the same as the front axle.

Your truck probably has 15 inch wheels and the one ton is 16 or 16.5 wheels so you are going to have problems matching outside tire diameter.

The pressure and volume of the rear brakes isn't going to be a match with the front brakes.

You can get "dually adapters" that will fit your stock rear axle and allows you to put two stock wheels on each side.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
Everyone here is right on--a 1 ton rear CAN be swapped in,but it involves either chopping the spring pads off the axle and relocating them,AND cutting the bed wheel wells and adding a section on,if you were going to keep a Fleetside bed,or use the spring mounts off the 1 ton,which put the springs on the inside of the frame rails.. --its just not worth all that,you still have a 1/2 ton frame,why have a beefy axle with no "truck" to go with it?..another thing,you'll have to carry two different spares,one 5 or 6 lug for the front axle,and 8 lug bud wheel for the rear!..I've seen K-5 Blazers and Suburbans with duallie rear ends,while they do LOOK neat,its a waste of labor and effort ,in my opinion..

I'd get a pair of dual wheel adapters from a place like J.C. Whitney and just bolt them on with 2 more rims and tires,that would be the cheapest and easiest way out..or use a single wheel with a WIDE tires & rims,instead..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input :trink39: but i think im going to fiv up the bed i got to looking at it today and the worst of the rust is on the bed support rails so i think im going to take the bed off and instead of spending all the time trying to find the new stock rails im going to use steel square tube instead i figured it would work better cause its stronger and will not rust through as fast what do you think?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: ha ha, figures :trink39:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts