My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had about 5" of snow over night last night. First plow event of 2012. Not much historically, but still worth pushing. It was plenty cold at the ground, but I guess the moisture came from a warmer air mass aloft as this was not as fluffy as I expected. No slush, but a kind of sticky snow that did not peel off the blade as nice I prefer.

Anyway, I was able to enlist my videographer to take a couple 30-40 second videos, so here they are to share. Maybe my next investment will be some video editing software so I could stitch these together save clicks for any of you interested in see them all. I apologize, but this is kind of redundant video of me coming or going with a snow furrow leaking out the right side.

Plowing 1

Plowing 2

Plowing 3

Plowing 4

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That was too easy!!!If we can't push it or blow it, we can watch someone else having fun in the snow...I think me personally I would lock that front blade.Thanks for the videos.:trink40:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Looked like you were having way to much fun.
We got about 2" last night, plowed this a.m. but it was 5*F .
Cold ride, I'd rather have what you had.
Tried to use the cold on the wife, told her if I was smart I would
have a cab and it would'nt be so bad.
She said ain't got the money for me to be smart!
Really liked the vids.

Jim

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was too easy!!!If we can't push it or blow it, we can watch someone else having fun in the snow...I think me personally I would lock that front blade.Thanks for the videos.:trink40:
I'm not sure what you are recommending: Are you saying you would lock the blade from tipping into the springs? I don't think I'd ever do that even though I've plowed this driveway for 26 years, you never know when a meteor or something might plunk down in the middle of the drive, have submerged in asphalt and fully covered in snow. Anyway, just me, I'd rather let the springs do their duties and save the frame jolt of a root or rock when I am pulling firewood out of the woods. I leave it unlocked all the time, and lock it down for slow speed dirt leveling tasks.

Thanks for comments, I always appreciate other perspectives. Gives me another chance to rethink things I thought I figured out long ago.

BTW, I notice my JD hat is fading a little, does that mean it's time for a new tractor?

·
Frame Swapped '88 322
1,257 Posts
Jere39, thanks for the videos. I pushed some snow this morning, we had about 4'' around Norristown. I still want more snow!!!!!

·
USAF Vet
75 Posts
No weights? No chains? I am so looking forward to when my X728 arrives; I hope it does as well as yours. Someone mentioned you had 'filled' tires - could you clue me in? How much weight does this add? Is it advised if mowing lawns in the summer? ie, does it increase turf tear?
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
371 Posts
No weights? No chains? I am so looking forward to when my X728 arrives; I hope it does as well. Someone mentioned you had 'filled' tires - could you clue me in? How much weight does this add? Is it advised if mowing lawns in the summer? ie, does it increase turf tear?
Thanks,
Ed
I think he use fulltime 4WD and frames pretty heavy for x728 maybe that why dont need chain or weight?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Looks good Jere! That was a nice amount of snow to work with. I got out today to clean up a whopping 4" but it was better than the rain we could get Monday/Tuesday. Weird Winter...

:thanku:for sharing the videos!:thThumbsU

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No weights? No chains? I am so looking forward to when my X728 arrives; I hope it does as well as yours. Someone mentioned you had 'filled' tires - could you clue me in? How much weight does this add? Is it advised if mowing lawns in the summer? ie, does it increase turf tear?
Thanks,
Ed
First, many folks on here do have filled tires, and one of them can give you a good read on how much something like Rimguard will weigh based on tire size. But, I don't have my tires filled. When I traded my 445 for this tractor I kept my chains and wheel weights, but decided to run without them at first to see how well the tractor did without. The first winter was one of the snowiest in at least a decade, and I never spun a tire once. While the snow was piling deep, I struck while the market was ripe and sold them on CL for more than I paid for them new 14 years earlier. I like how my driveway sealant holds up without the chains. The combination of HDAP tires, full time 4wd, and my added seat-sprung dinner table weight has been more than sufficient. If I had a blower that hangs more weight and further out front I'd need weight for sure, and if I had a FEL, I'd need even more. As it is, I find the x728 is much more sure-footed than my 445 with wheel weights and chains was. FWIW, I left my wheel weights on my 445 with Turf tires for 14 years and never felt I was hard on my lawn.

·
USAF Vet
75 Posts
First, many folks on here do have filled tires, and one of them can give you a good read on how much something like Rimguard will weigh based on tire size. But, I don't have my tires filled...
Wow! I am inspired beyond my ability to wait for and take delivery of a X728 and then take on whatever the Colorado snow season has to deliver.

And that's a great lookin pup: German Shorthair? Trained to point? retrieve? I miss my spaniel with all my heart. Happy trials, Ed.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Thanks for sharing and that's more action than I've seen all year. I did get the 2305 out yesterday to take a ride. I'm not complaining this has been a very mild winter here so far. slkpk

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I am inspired beyond my ability to wait for and take delivery of a X728 and then take on whatever the Colorado snow season has to deliver.

And that's a great lookin pup: German Shorthair? Trained to point? retrieve? I miss my spaniel with all my heart. Happy trials, Ed.
He is a French Brittany, born, bred, and modestly trained to point. About a decade ago, the AKC dropped the "Spaniel" from the breed name because the Brittany is a pointer not a flusher like all other Spaniels. But, since most sporting dog owners more or less ignore the AKC to a large extent, they are still called Brittany Spaniels by many people. And thanks, he is my constant companion (try to down play this if my wife were to read it).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts