My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Snapper push mower that quit running last mowing season and we parked it and finished the season with our Toro.

The motor is a Briggs and Stratton 128t02-0112-b1, Quantum 700 series. Here’s what we’ve done so far...
  • Replaced pull cord, starter pulley and spring assembly because the spring was brittle.
  • Verified spark from ignition sequence and replaced spark plug.
  • Checked carburetor for buildup (none visible) but doused with carb cleaner.
  • Verified fuel bowl is clean as well.
  • Verified fuel line is clear from tank to carburetor.
  • Sprayed starter fluid into intake.
With a good dose of starter fluid the engine will fire up without the air filter and run for a few seconds. My son is suggesting the ethanol-free fuel that was in the gas can may be the issue. The Toro ran fine with it last week, but I suppose this mower could be more finicky.

Before we drain the tank and head to the gas pump, is there anything else we should try?

Note: It just occurred to me that having the air filter off could have been a factor. I can’t go try now because all the vehicles are stacked in the garage for the night, but I’ll check tomorrow.

·
5,404 Posts
Hi! Not an expert on Briggs however a lot of the same checks pertain to many different pieces of equipment. Since it has spark it would seem that fuel is the issue. When you say you doused the carb with carb cleaner, what do you mean? There are many small passages that need a thorough cleaning for the engine to get the proper amount of fuel to run correctly. This would involve removing the carb and possibly an ultrasonic treatment or at the very least spraying everything out and drying with some compressed air, I like the cans of compressed air for this over a compressor. Be sure if there are rubber seals, seats, or cork floats that they are removed because they do not like carb cleaner and may expand or lose their coating. As far as ethanol fuel goes, personally I do not use ethanol enhanced fuel at all but if I was forced to I would treat with an ethanol treatment with fuel stabilizer. It could be possible that the ethanol in the fuel absorbed enough water last year to cause the engine to stop running and then after sitting it got all varnished up inside. A thorough carb cleaning may be all it needs. Good luck and let us know what you find. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
975 Posts
The bolt that holds the carburetor bowl on is your main jet. Take that out, and run a thin wire through the holes in the bottom of the bolt. That should do it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you are able to get it running, add a good dose of Pri-G to your premix. That stuff works miracles getting deposits out of your fuel system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts