My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will need a riding mower to mow the 1 acre lot where I am getting ready to build. For no good reason, I find myself keenly interested in purchasing an older lawn tractor. There seem to be numerous “newer” riding mowers with thrashed engines and non-working transmissions. So, perhaps a more durable mower and the nostalgia seem appealing to me. I am moderately mechanically inclined – I can do minor repairs and parts replacement as needed…short of an engine rebuild. My question is:

Are parts generally available for some/many of the late 60s or early 70s mowers (IH, Case, JD)? For stuff that may require replacements such as bearings, moving parts, etc, are they reasonable in price?

I have found an IH Cub Cadet 1250 ($450) that is said to be in good running condition. have also seen a Case 224 14hp hydo($750) that appears in good condition. I wouldn’t mind paying $400 for something in working order. The $750 seems a bit more than I would want to spend…unless it was in VERY good condition. Just my unfounded opinion/thoughts.

In short, I am not looking for a full restoration, just a fix up, tinker, paint and enjoy lawn mower. Or, would I be better off just to by a newer, used riding mower and just go mow my grass.

Thanks for any input.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I would go with the Cub cadet 1250, What else do you plan on doing other than mow grass (snow removal, Garden, landscaping, loader, mowing, etc)??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could concievably move some snow/ice - but in Okla...doubtful. However, we did get 14" in this winter in one day! To answer your question- most likely it would be just to mow.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Look for a Bolens. A tube frame would be perfect for you. If You give me your specific location and how far you want to drive, I can look around CL for you and see if there are any good deals.

Jason

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in OKC. I can be out of the state in less than two hours any direction...to give you an idea. CL is where I found the older Case and Cub Cadet. Thanks.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Yes, as long as you are reasonably mechanical and have the repair manual, you will do well with either of those. Case just generally is a more expensive tractor. Just look the tractor of choice over really well. Run it and check everything. We're here for you.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd go with the cub cadet 1250, later if you decide to get a snow/dozer blade for it you can plow dirt and snow so it is more useful.

·
Super Moderator
35,855 Posts
For that price range you could find a John Deere 140 that would have 1 to 3 spools of hydraulics, can get a new replacement deck, snowblower, and parts and accessories are still pretty available, and they are now starting to appreciate in price!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts