My Tractor Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Can't wait to see it with the new shoes.
It looks a lot different! Pictures soon.

Nice seat, Austen, is that the one that belongs on it originally? Did you have to have the spacers custom made like the ones on your PK?
Hey Mike,

The seat and wheel set are actually from my former Bolens. The seat is actually from an earlier time period of generation for Bolens but it is a direct bolt on to the HDT. I did have to have custom wheel adapter/spacers made from Motorsport Tech to fit these wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

I love that seat! It's totally unique, and looks great on your tractor. Seeing the adapters/spacers, I can't wait to see what rims, and tires you have in store.
Thanks, Dave! It's my favorite style of Bolens seat. The pictures above from my 1886 will give you a close idea of how the wheels look.

·
16,286 Posts
O Yeah--Hot **** -Austen..what a difference. Love that Amsoil--Been using it for years.

Custom wheel spacers? Only Austen...(again--living our old lives vacariously--thru you)

glenn

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
O Yeah--Hot **** -Austen..what a difference. Love that Amsoil--Been using it for years.

Custom wheel spacers? Only Austen...(again--living our old lives vacariously--thru you)

glenn
I'm more like obsessed!

Alright, I just couldn't help myself, you guys said snow pics... alright, I will oblige.
:D
Man, I'm taken into a whole 'nother element when I get out into the night and move some snow on a GT. I'm over the moon! The loader is working flawlessly!!! Was going to clean up the streets when I got home from work but it was gone. Another time, if not, ski resort parking lots here I come!! :ROFLMAO: In the meantime, to the backyard!

Sneak peek of trying on the new 'Jordans!

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Nice! Very nice!
Thanks, Dave!

Any trouble moving around without any weight on the rear wheels to offset the bucket? Looks..... cool, pun intended!
Thanks, Tim. These tires are filled with Bio Ballast and are actually 50lbs heavier per tire than the original setup including the 70lb weights, they do pretty well and no comparison to the turfs. I did have my Gannon Earthcavator on shortly before this picture but one of the quick connects for the hydraulic top link was leaking so I pulled it off. May put the manual adjust top link on in the meantime before the new coupler comes in; didn't think of that at the time I removed it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)

Can you identify which bulbs out of these are LED? I'll be the first to admit that I've never been a fan of LEDs on GTs for my own personal tastes. I came across recently these PAR 36 LED bulbs which appeared to be almost exactly in appearance to original incandescent bulbs from the pictures I saw. I noticed several have been running them on their Bolens machines. I was curious. As an experiment, I purchased them and told myself if they appeared to obviously be LED, that I would return them. I installed them and they were noticeably brighter without blinding you. What I did not see so much in the online pictures was the whitish hue in the background that you see in the daylight; to me, it reminded me of the girl's eyes in "The Ring" movie which is why I included the clip.... dare if you watch.
I didn't like the 'goobly goblin' look so I purchased a pair of new GE sealed beam factory style replacements which I'm satisfied with. You can still definitely see in front of you at night only without the "tennis court like" output of the LED's. I'm just fine with that and the original look is what matters most for me.

For comparison purposes, I took several photos of the PAR 36 bulbs next to different brands of incandescent variants.

PAR36

Comparison of LED's (warm white) vs. sealed beam incandescents at night.

Don't say I didn't warn ya....
:D

That about sums it up....

Overall winner.

While I was working with the headlights, I decided to get the taillight working too. The original just didn't want to come back to life. I cleaned the socket which was seized, spread some dielectric grease, installed a new bulb and she didn't want to revive. Rick Bolensman helped me out with a reproduction style replacement which even includes a nice rubber gasket that the old one was either missing or didn't have.

It bugged me not having a proper headlight decal. It won't be for sometime until I repaint the machine but in the meantime, I wanted one. I've ordered many times from Click it and Stick over the years and their quality is generally average. The example decals in this order were subpar regarding the material; it was like paper and my fingernail could go right through it. I contacted Nate and he told me that they are in the process of producing their Bolens decals in the better laminate product they have. Not sure why I didn't get this version to begin with. Anyway, between being disappointed with such cheap quality material and it being too cold out for decal installs, this one was a fail so I'm going to have to reorder. Nate and I have also been discussing the possibility of doing a kit for this style HDT hood/fender decal type. Kevin's has a slightly different style hood decal and I'd like to eventually replace mine with the same kind. I also noticed that this headlight decal's top stripe is quite a bit lighter than the ones on the sides of the hood on mine. The lower two stripes are dead on but that top one is too light. Could be that they faded but then why didn't the lower two stripes fade too. It sounds like he's going to send me a couple samples to see if we can get a closer match to that top stripe.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)

I quickly found out that one of the rear hydraulic quick connects was a leaker, a typical thing according to Kevin. So I swapped them out with a set of new from Parker. These are much nicer to use than the old ones which can have a tendency to stick, etc. Let's just say getting the old ones off took some patience!

The brakes needed some attention. The first thing that caught my eye were the springs shown above that were jury-rigged to put tension on the tension plates the adjustment nuts push up against- what'd ya just say? In layman's terms, the adjustment nuts were seized on the threaded rods and one side was cross threaded so I freed up one side with PB blaster, installed a new nut on the other after spending a looong time working the cross threaded one off and finally adjusted the brakes properly. Much better (actual) pedal feel now that both sides are working equally and more importantly, the parking brake holds on an incline now!
:thumbs:

On a machine like this, I like to try and put a dab of oil when I can on fasteners when I take them apart to eliminate potential cross threading and or future hardware seizures. Makes things go back together and come apart easier!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really really enjoyed watching the videos & checking out the pictures. Videos are packed full of information. So where to start? There's so much to say.
I don't want to forget to thank you for the LED's vs incandescent original bulbs comparison, so I'll start there.
I too have been curious about the LED's, but for me & for the same reasons (not much need for lighting up the evening sky) the look of the LED looses out over the originals.
I gotta get me some of those hydro couplers. So many times (especially in the middle of a snowstorm) you find yourself struggling to connect the hydro lines. "Not a good way to start the day," especially when you know you have hours of work ahead of you.
Glad you're able to have Nate work with you on getting the correct decals for your machine there. The other few things I wanted to comment on, I think I'll just message you about. Thanks for the updates Austen, great work so far.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
You plan on going to any shows with that machine? I'd think you'd do pretty well with it. Don't think I've seen one nicer.
Hey Tim! Thanks for the nice comments. Hoping to do some plow days with it this year and get together with other members of the tractor community if possible. (y)

Really really enjoyed watching the videos & checking out the pictures. Videos are packed full of information. So where to start? There's so much to say.
I don't want to forget to thank you for the LED's vs incandescent original bulbs comparison, so I'll start there.
I too have been curious about the LED's, but for me & for the same reasons (not much need for lighting up the evening sky) the look of the LED looses out over the originals.
I gotta get me some of those hydro couplers. So many times (especially in the middle of a snowstorm) you find yourself struggling to connect the hydro lines. "Not a good way to start the day," especially when you know you have hours of work ahead of you.
Glad you're able to have Nate work with you on getting the correct decals for your machine there. The other few things I wanted to comment on, I think I'll just message you about. Thanks for the updates Austen, great work so far.
Thanks, Ken! The new couplers are much nicer to use and far less temperamental than the originals IMO. Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the videos!

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Looking fantastic, Austen!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Just catching up here. Nice vids! I enjoyed viewing them. I had to laugh at your "buddy". It looked like he was trying to decide whether he liked all the attention that the new "family member" is receiving, or not. The new tail light looks great. I'm sure that you will get the decal worked out.

It really is a very nice looking tractor!

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Just catching up here. Nice vids! I enjoyed viewing them. I had to laugh at your "buddy". It looked like he was trying to decide whether he liked all the attention that the new "family member" is receiving, or not. The new tail light looks great. I'm sure that you will get the decal worked out.

It really is a very nice looking tractor!
lol, Thanks Dave! Yes, he likes to be apart of everything. Thanks for following along and checking out the content! :)

161 - 179 of 179 Posts