My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I purchased a new R322TX tractor with a combi mower and snow blower. The key reasons for the purchase were the convenience of the front mount blower and mower. With a fall tax free sale I saved over $900 off the list price. It was the least expensive new 4x4 tractor I could find.

I had issues with very poor support from Husqvarna right from the start and have brought it in for multiple service calls:
  • Even though it was a larger dealer no one knew how the control panel and fuel gauge are supposed to operate and they told me to bring it in for service. Turns out it does not show the level, it only comes one when the level is low.
  • With the center discharge the only way to pick up grass clippings or leaves is with the tow behind sweeper. The sweeper is a pain to use and does not work well.
  • I am already having issues with the transmission. An intermittent grinding noise from the front transmission when going up a mild slope. The dealer has not been able to reproduce the problem
  • Now that it is colder it is very hard to start with the auto choke regardless of the throttle position. I brought it in for service again and they changed the oil to synthetic but it has not really helped.
  • The Kova single stage blower is awful.
- It is not very powerful (the manual says not to blow packed snow!)
- The chain is fully exposed and there are supports where snow collects and ice builds up
- The impeller blades are not serrated to cut through hard snow of ice chunks
- The high speed impeller throws snows snow off to the side from the front so you always need to go back over the area to clean up the sides
- The chute frequently clogs and does not fully rotate to the side of the tractor - you can not clean to the end of of driveway without some of the snow going in front
- At night with the blower lifted it blocks a large portion of the headlight
- The blower is a pain to lift and if you don't pull the lever to the end it does not stay up
- The auto dis-engagement when raising the snow blower is a pain - you can't blow snow with the blower raised (i.e. deep snow).

On the positive side, the 4x4 drive and tight turning radius are great. Having the mower out front makes it much easier to see where you are going and get under branches.

Even though the tractor is less than 4 months old I do have much confidence in it. Any one have have any suggestions for an alternate 4x4 tractor?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with your R322TX. I share a few of the same disappointments but not to the point that I am looking to dump it.

The fuel gauge is one of those "what were they thinking" idiocies. Also heard that the Bluetooth does not work.

Rear discharge was the reason I purchased mine so I don't consider it a detractor. I know they also offer a side discharge deck but that would not have any pickup options.

Cold starting is very finicky but I seem to have found the Goldilocks sweet spot. Before I shut off the motor, I set the RPM to 50% on the tach and leave it there for the next start. The throttle lever is very touchy so trying to set it to the optimum without the engine running is next to impossible. I also switched to 5W20 synthetic oil for the Winter and I keep a battery maintainer on the battery.

The hydro has been working well for me. It is very strong when pushing snow with my plow. BTW, I chose not to buy the Kova plow that is available but rather adapted a much heavier plow.

I agree with your assessment of the single stage Kova snow thrower and I would not buy one. I really don't understand why Husqvarna does not make their own but rather rely on a third party. They should have learned their lesson with the two-stage AgriFab fiasco. It's too bad Bercomac doesn't make a model to fit the R322TX. A DIY marriage would not be as easy as was the plow.

The manual lift on the R322TX needs a strong right arm. With the heavy Swisher plow and backing off the lift assist springs, I had to block off the PTO to not have to also fight against it. I understand that is not an option with the snow thrower since it uses the PTO. I plan to lengthen the lift handle with 1 - 1/4" sched 80 PCV pipe.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The chute frequently clogs and does not fully rotate to the side of the tractor - you can not clean to the end of of driveway without some of the snow going in front
On the chute rotation, I had a walk-behind with the same problem. I was able to grind a couple more notches into the chute for the worm gear to engage. After that I could throw the snow over my shoulder which worked well when the wind was in my favor.

Is there a gap between the impeller and the housing? If so, maybe you could add some rubber belting to the impeller to improve the throw.

Does it have a replaceable cutting scraper blade? If so, maybe you could make a wider (taller) one so the snow thrower sits taller and changes the angle of the chute.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, but I never considered the RT a serious piece of equipment, but rather more of a toy aimed at a novelty attraction or discussion piece among neighbors.

A 4x4 is going to drive you to the 10k mark unless you go used. I couldn't afford that so I went with a posi, but then you definitely lose turning radius with it on. It's pretty much zero turn with it off. but the current tractors are light frames.

I run two tractors now, one real older GT with a plow - not posi traction, but heavy duty frame. The other with a snowblower attachment that has posi traction. I have ice chains on both and fishbone tires on the posi tractor. Weights on both.

Both plow though the woods during the summer and snow during the winter like nothing. I do seem to go through a lot of shear pins....

·
21,916 Posts
Some of the items that you mentioned can also be a problem for conventional tractors, whether 2wd or 4wd. Snow throwers and blowers invariably block the stock headlights when the unit is raised to the transport position, and the commercial versions are rated for tons per hour of snow removal, regardless of snow density. But commercial units have several horsepower per INCH of blower width to play with. GT units have 4-6 horsepower per FOOT.

Packed snow is considerably more dense than the light fluffy variety. It is also a lot harder to push into and the lighter metal used for GT/LT applications won't stand up to being forced into hard packed snow without getting bent at some point, hence the warning about packed snow. NO thrower with sheet metal components is going to like munching on ice chunks.

I'm 73 and have never seen a fuel burning engine that starts as easily in cold weather as it does in warm, and even engines with the same model number will have slightly different characteristics for cold weather starting that requires the operator to learn how to work with them for starting procedures that will actually work with consistency at various temperatures.

Reactions: poconosms1

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I'm 73 and have never seen a fuel burning engine that starts as easily in cold weather as it does in warm...
My Craftsman walk-behind snow thrower has electric start but I can't be bothered to drag out a power cord so I use the pull cord instead. It usually starts in 1 or 2 pulls when cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 73 and have never seen a fuel burning engine that starts as easily in cold weather as it does in warm, and even engines with the same model number will have slightly different characteristics for cold weather starting that requires the operator to learn how to work with them for starting procedures that will actually work with consistency at various temperatures.
My previous tractor was a Sears Craftsman (made by Husqvarna). With the manual choke it would always start up in seconds, even in the coldest weather. I kept it for over 15 years with no issues what so ever. The 48" 2 stage blower on it was also reasonably heavy duty and had no issues.

While it is only anecdotal, it looks like several people are having transmission and auto choke issues with the new R322TX. With issues like this right when it is new, I do not have a lot of confidence that it will be reliable in the long term. Replacing it will mean spending much more on a more expensive machine and loosing $$ on the depreciation.

I will be following up with Husqvarna to see if there is anything that can be done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have mine since the end of october as well. I just have 7 hours on it. I bought it mainly for snowblowing because it's hard with a walk behind regarding the slope of my driveway. I also have a snow blade on my ATV depending the type of snow, it's the best but unfortunatly if we have big load, at the end of winter, I can't have place to push all the snow. So, I need a snowblower. We had our first big load 2 weeks ago then I got chance to try my machine. I was very impressed by the force of the snowblower, one stage that blows snow farer than my commercial walk behind Husqvarna st327. It works very well and I was able to climb the slope after the first row while snowblowing. Very good traction. I keep it outside with just an atv cover on it. I don't have a battery maintener yet but I will install one. For now, it starts at the first or second try. The only complaint I have and is a big disappointment is the lever for the snowblower that is very heavy. It causes me pain at my shoulder and my back. So, I can't lift it like I want while on reverse like I did with my ATV. For the position of the light, I agree with you, it could be more ingenious to put light another place for the snowblower but I use my headlight that resolve it.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Last fall I purchased a new R322TX tractor with a combi mower and snow blower. The key reasons for the purchase were the convenience of the front mount blower and mower. With a fall tax free sale I saved over $900 off the list price. It was the least expensive new 4x4 tractor I could find.

I had issues with very poor support from Husqvarna right from the start and have brought it in for multiple service calls:
  • Even though it was a larger dealer no one knew how the control panel and fuel gauge are supposed to operate and they told me to bring it in for service. Turns out it does not show the level, it only comes one when the level is low.
  • With the center discharge the only way to pick up grass clippings or leaves is with the tow behind sweeper. The sweeper is a pain to use and does not work well.
  • I am already having issues with the transmission. An intermittent grinding noise from the front transmission when going up a mild slope. The dealer has not been able to reproduce the problem
  • Now that it is colder it is very hard to start with the auto choke regardless of the throttle position. I brought it in for service again and they changed the oil to synthetic but it has not really helped.
  • The Kova single stage blower is awful.
- It is not very powerful (the manual says not to blow packed snow!)
- The chain is fully exposed and there are supports where snow collects and ice builds up
- The impeller blades are not serrated to cut through hard snow of ice chunks
- The high speed impeller throws snows snow off to the side from the front so you always need to go back over the area to clean up the sides
- The chute frequently clogs and does not fully rotate to the side of the tractor - you can not clean to the end of of driveway without some of the snow going in front
- At night with the blower lifted it blocks a large portion of the headlight
- The blower is a pain to lift and if you don't pull the lever to the end it does not stay up
- The auto dis-engagement when raising the snow blower is a pain - you can't blow snow with the blower raised (i.e. deep snow).

On the positive side, the 4x4 drive and tight turning radius are great. Having the mower out front makes it much easier to see where you are going and get under branches.

Even though the tractor is less than 4 months old I do have much confidence in it. Any one have have any suggestions for an alternate 4x4 tractor?

Thanks
Since Husqvarna Became it own company again in 2006 The quality has slowly been dropping on the Products. They were actually better made machines Under Electrolux. Now I would suggest Just cutting your losses with Husqvarna. They May have capital issues In the near future do to a possible looming Civil War In Sweden as we speak. So warranty down the line could be a Problem. Especially if Civil War Breaks out in there Home country

Now a Question Do You Have any Simplicity Dealer In Your Area ?

As they are next Cheapest 4WD it's actually a AWD Simplicity Prestige starting at $12,599.00 Canadian But it will give You AWD with a 36inch turn radius, Hydraulic Lift & Hydraulic Power steering. Will also give You a 42inch Two Stage snow Blower Option.

You Next Option is The John Deere X738 $17,700.00CAD with 54-in. deck But it will give You AWD with a 25inch Turn Radius It will also give You Hydraulic Lift & Hydraulic Power steering, Hydraulic angle for Two stage Blower either 47inch or 54Inch. The Blowers are also shaft driven. You also Get a Diff Lock Pedal. If You want More Maneuverability there is the X739 starting
$18,571.00CAD with a 54-in deck it will give you the same Options as the X738 with with the addition of AWD & All Wheel Steer and it gives You a 21inch Turn Radius One Little Nice add on is Deere Makes a Light Kit That will be higher than the snow Blower even when Lifted

Question 2 Did the Craftsman Handle you Property when Mowing Or did it struggle a lot?

Because there are some 2WD Garden tractors as well such as the Cub Cadet XT3 GSX starting at $ 8,099.00 Canadian Less Mowing deck. Choices of Mowing deck a 42inch, 50inch & 54inch stamped decks or 48inch 54inch and 60Inch Fabricated Decks. It also Gives You Electronic Power steering(16inch Turn radius), Electric Lift, and Hand Operated Diff/lock which You Can leave engaged if You need extra traction. You also Have a choice of 2 two stage Blower from Bercomac a 44inch & a 48inch Blower which have a self contained electric Lift or a Choice of what Cub Calls a 3 stage Blower with Manual lift

So there our some option for replacement while not exactly cheap There Probably will be Less issue then what You Have experienced so far
(y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now a Question Do You Have any Simplicity Dealer In Your Area ?

As they are next Cheapest 4WD it's actually a AWD Simplicity Prestige starting at $12,599.00 Canadian But it will give You AWD with a 36inch turn radius, Hydraulic Lift & Hydraulic Power steering. Will also give You a 42inch Two Stage snow Blower Option.

So there our some option for replacement while not exactly cheap There Probably will be Less issue then what You Have experienced so far
(y)
Thanks for the suggestions

The Simplicity tractors look interesting. Only smaller Simplicity dealers near by. I Will look around. Another option would be a sub-compact tractor such as the Kubota BX series or the John Deere 1023 but they are significantly larger and more expensive.

My previous Craftsman would occasionally get stuck even with chains so AWD would be good.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions

The Simplicity tractors look interesting. Only smaller Simplicity dealers near by. I Will look around. Another option would be a sub-compact tractor such as the Kubota BX series or the John Deere 1023 but they are significantly larger and more expensive.

My previous Craftsman would occasionally get stuck even with chains so AWD would be good.
Yeah sub compacts are not good Mowing Machines to begin with and if you have a lot of slope there Just Not as stable as a Garden tractors with AWD (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
[QUOTE = "art-yow, message: 12399914, membre: 561127"]
Merci pour les suggestions

Les tracteurs Simplicity semblent intéressants. Seuls les petits concessionnaires Simplicity à proximité. Je vais regarder autour de moi. Une autre option serait un tracteur sous-compact comme la série Kubota BX ou le John Deere 1023, mais ils sont nettement plus gros et plus chers.

Mon ancien artisan était parfois bloqué même avec des chaînes, donc la traction intégrale serait bonne.
[/CITATION]
I also have a slope and no chains but I have the weigth device installed on the back of my Rider that is very efficient. I have been never stock with my Rider. When I feel I can't forward I just lift up the snowblower and it's fine. I havec a sub-compact tractor as well, a Bobcat ct 122. But I don't want to use it to snowblowing because I don't like the idea to have it installed at the back. I really appreciate my Ryder for the capabilities of snowblowing and his agility. I'm impressed how far the snow is blowed and the performance of the awd. My only complaint is how heavy is the snowblower lever.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Before getting my R322Ts (about 6 years ago).
I was looking at Kubota GR2000 series.
Current models are GR2020 and GR2120.
They are a garden tractor size with 4 wd.
Either diesel or gas.
When I was looking at them, there was some issues with the unique steering system it had.
If Kubota has got the bugs worked out of the GR series units, it might be something worth looking at.
I think the current prize for the diesel with a belly mower and front snow blower is around $12,000-$13,000 USA.

About $4,000 more, you could have a more versatile Kubota BX1880 with belly mower and front snow blower.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I also have a slope and no chains but I have the weigth device installed on the back of my Rider that is very efficient. I have been never stock with my Rider. When I feel I can't forward I just lift up the snowblower and it's fine. I havec a sub-compact tractor as well, a Bobcat ct 122. But I don't want to use it to snowblowing because I don't like the idea to have it installed at the back. I really appreciate my Ryder for the capabilities of snowblowing and his agility. I'm impressed how far the snow is blowed and the performance of the awd. My only complaint is how heavy is the snowblower lever.
I only have a plow and I managed to get stuck with it once. I probably would not have gotten stuck if I had the counterweight bumper. When I lifted the plow to try to back out of my predicament, it took too much weight off the back wheels. My neighbor happened by and I got him to stand on the rear bumper to get enough traction to back out. As much as I want the counterweight, I refuse to pay the $250 that my dealer is asking for it.

As for how heavy my plow is to lift, I really don't notice anymore. I guess I must have built up enough muscle on my right arm. I got a length of sched 80 PVC pipe to form into an extension for the lift handle but it's too cold out to soften the PVC with heat to form it into the right shape to fit over the metal handle. The wife would kill me if I used her oven to soften the PVC.

·
21,916 Posts
Truth be told, a 2wd heavy GT with a 2-speed final drive will outperform a slightly heavier 4wd SCUT with a 2-speed final drive and a narrower bucket when equipped with 2-link chains and ballasted properly for snow duty.

The major differences;
  • The diesel SCUT burns less fuel per hour.
  • The gas GT pushes more snow per hour and costs considerably less for maintenance and repairs.
I have used the SCUT for the past 13 winters (1090 hours), the GT for the 24 winters prior to that (2250 hours).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts