My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

I am new to the form and I need help\feedback on my first tractor purchase. In a quick overview, I live on a half acre lot that is on a hillside with an incline of around 15-20 degrees. The front of my house has fairly flat land going to the street, but the back portion is the hardest to mow. I am needing a rider that will be able to handle the incline long term and also be able to pull a cart possibly at some points. A majority of the time it will be used for mowing. I plan on living in the house long term, but if we ever do move it will be to a equal or bigger size piece of property. I grew up on a large piece of property and would like to eventually have some land and build, but that is far into the future. I know I want a John Deere and know it will be an X500 series tractor as I need the transmission and diff lock. At first I looked at the X570, and then I made the mistake of looking into the higher models with power steering and hydraulic lift :)

Now, I am in a state of trying to figure out which would be best to invest in long term. Money is a factor as I want to get the best deal I can, but I am more interested in getting the best tractor for me long term. I am wanting to stay with a 48” inch deck as I have storage limitations with my garage space. I have spoke with my local dealers, I have two, and they both recommend at least the X570 now after seeing my pictures of my land. At first they thought the X380 could handle it until they saw pictures and changed it to the X570 as it had a better transmission. I am now wondering if the power steering and hydro lift are worth the extra money, and maybe even as high as the X590 with the EFI. I am stuck and have been researching this topic like crazy across several forms. Most of the items I am reading point me to get the X590 and spend the extra $1.7k for the long term investment, but man that is a big jump from the X570. I have tried to see if the dealers can offer the X580 in a 48”, and only one has said they can possibly do it but will have to order it separate from the deck and attach it once it gets in. The other dealer says it is impossible. This would give me a good midway point between the X570 and X590, but is it a good choice or should I just suck it up and go to the X590? I would be lying if I didn’t say the Frankenstein assembly of the X580 worries me a bit as I am not sure how JD feels about honoring the warranty on a custom setup, but it could be fine. The X584 has not been in my assessment much as I am not too comfortable with the 4 wheel steer as I think it could be problematic long term. This is just my opinion and thoughts as I do not have experience with it.

Overall, I am really looking for some input from the members here on their experience and insight into the different models and whether you think it would be worth while going into the X590 and get the EFI or just stick with the X570 or maybe the X580 if it can be done with a warranty still in place. Is it possible I am looking at too much tractor? Am I crazy for thinking X590 for my needs and I will be the laughing stock of the subdivision? Is the PS, hydro lift, and EFI really worth it? Price wise I cannot seem to get any better pricing than $150 off the list price for anything right now until fall or winter rebates come of which I am not sure how much they will be. Both have said they are coming but it is unknown which models they will be for or how much. These guys are really being hard on price and not even willing to negotiate with cash offer vs financing. Probably better to wait until then but I am still stuck on what I want to get. :tango_face_sad:

Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar property, hilly in the back. We're in the same boat, and it's a tough call. I too am having a tough time finding something I can ride on, on hills, for under $7,000. I test drove a JD x570 (about $7000 here in California), and a Husqvarna TS 354X (about half of that, $3400). I took pics of both below.

I've been a John Deere fan for 12+ years, still am, but the JD x570 has a safety button you have to push, everytime you need to mow in reverse. So if you're mowing on a hill, you are forced to engage this button every time you reverse, (go down the hill). So for that reason, I didn't buy an x570. That's just too annoying for me. I believe the TS 354X will come pretty close to the capabilities of an x570. At half the price of an x570, it's hard not to seriously consider it. As far as any kind of deal beyond the MSRP, I found none to exist. I was pretty shocked that every dealer I went to would not bargain at all. I've never seen anything like it in any other product line.

On a positive note, the JD dealer did offer to deliver the mower, no charge. They also said I could try it out on my property and make sure it was suitable. So if they haven't offered that scenario to you, I would hit em up for that, if you're going with JD. I don't think the Husqvarna dealer would offer as much service and peace of mind that come with JD.

The other pro for JD is that their resale value is better. I can also tell you this, shopping online for a tractor is very difficult if you're not really sure what model you want. You really have to go out to the dealer and test drive a few models, and for that matter, a few dealers. Its not easy, but the folks in this forum have been very helpful to me, and I hope I can help someone out in return. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Tough decision, but try the power steering. It makes maneuvering the tractor much quicker and when you’re older like me results in less pain. I skipped the X5xx series going from my X360 (X390 now) and went to the X738 because I found one on Craigslist. What you find on the larger heavier tractors is they are more stable on steeper slopes. I mow the lower part of my ditch easily. The upper part of the bank is from 20 to 45 degrees and I mow up it. Once the tires crest the hill, I have to raise the deck or scalp the grass or stop. The 54” deck is too big for my yard, but great for mowing the soccer field at the local Christian school. A larger deck can help by keeping the tractor farther away from things like buildings or fences.

What helps in the decision is whether your wife or kids will be using it and how big or strong they are, as well as how old you are. Even on the flat soccer field, I find the power steering a benefit when I turn around on the end to go back across the field. If I mow around the field, I can make square corners in about 3 seconds, which is coming close to a zero turn. Don’t miss the fact that the larger tractors also are heavier which may be a problem on soft ground, but sooo much better ride on rough ground, which translates to less pain as you age/less medicine for the pain that it induces.

My friend had a Cub Cadet 54” deck with manual steering until he had a shoulder replaced in September, a few years ago. I drove it for him and didn’t think twice about it, even at 68. The next Spring he took it out and the very first time he felt it hurt his shoulder, so he went tractor shopping for power steering. He is still blown away by how easy he can maneuver his Kubota BX2380 54” deck around his tree, flower, stuff filled lawn every time he uses it and loves it when he tows his Cyclone Rake XL around his leaf filled lawn, even at 80 years old. He can get it into places he never could with his Cub Cadet.

All this to say, there are other factors that make one tractor choice better for you or whoever is using it. Can you fit it everywhere you want to? How does it fit whoever and everyone driving it? How comfortable is the ride? How much pain and fatigue do you want to tolerate? How safe is it to use throughout the lawn? Will you need bigger to do more? All questions that affect your choice or you resolve yourself to trade as requirements change.

Don’t get too hung up on the safety feature of pushing a button to mow in reverse. You can also lift the deck engage switch to do the same thing and both only have to be done until you start moving backwards, then they can be released until the tractor moves forward again. Don’t discount lightly used. All four tractors I’ve owned were used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. Yes the safety switch I have heard is a pain, but can be altered :) I am amazed at how much the dealers won't budge on prices. Cash or financing did not change their price at all which blows my mind. It saves hassle, time, and overhead for processing? How does that not equate to a discount? Anyways, I am seriously considering a X590 even though it is a steep price. The PS sounds soooo nice. I just don't want to get down the road and say "man I wish I had spent a little more for that option..." One thing that is bothering me, and probably shouldn't, is am I thinking about this too much? Am I getting wayyyy to much tractor for my needs, and am I crazy for thinking X590? I know a X570 is minimum what I need for my terrain, but the added features on the X590 is what is nice. I only have a half acre, but I wouldn't mind using it to pull and maybe even do some tilling or sod work sometime. Has anyone every dealt with the EFI before, and is it a big advantage over carb?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you can swing it you will be so glad you got a machine with power steering and hydraulic lift capability. Don't forget you will have this machine a very long time.
As for EFI I have no experience but believe that is the future and why not go all the way, no regrets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback TundraBoy. I can swing it, just want to rationalize it :). If I want a 48" deck the only options standard are the X570 and X590 so it narrows down my options if I want PS lol Have you ever heard of getting toooo much tractor? :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
No such thing as toooo much tractor :tango_face_grin:

You never really know how it will perform on your property until you try it out. I think you'll be happy with the extra features, after all, you're the one using it, and who cares what the neighbors think!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you can swing it you will be so glad you got a machine with power steering and hydraulic lift capability. Don't forget you will have this machine a very long time.
As for EFI I have no experience but believe that is the future and why not go all the way, no regrets.
I forgot to mention the EFI. I love mine in the X738 because it starts easily in the cold and is very good on gas. I get about an hour per gallon per acre short grass or tall doesn’t seem to affect it much so I’d say it feels like more hp. My X360 had the regular carburetor on the 22 hp Kawasaki, but didn’t have nearly the strength of the 25.5 hp in the X738.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I too was budget conscious and went for the X500 model, 48 inch deck before they quit making it. Yes, everything is manual on it, but with that comes simplicity. My steering is usually done one handed, and at 67 years old, I'm not a leg arms type. It feels like power steering to me. I do sort of wish I had some hydraulic lift capability particularly for rear ground engagement implements but this isn't a real problem for me at this point. SNow blade in winter isn't an issue either. X500 is strong and runs, that's what I wanted and that's what I got.
Just another opinion for ya.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you truly have steep inclines, do not buy anything that is not 4 wheel drive. Most get hung up worrying if the machine will go up the hill when you should be more concerned with SAFELY COMING DOWN THE HILL. Once a wheel loses traction, i.e. skids going downhill the other wheel will free wheel and you plummet out of control. Once that happens you had better turn straight down hill and hope you don't hit anything. Attempting to turn in the scenario will result in tipping over.

I have steep slopes, 2 of my 3 mowers are 4WD. MFWD works good but the hydro 4WD on the X758 is second to none.

Life is too short to die cutting grass. When I first bought this place, I tipped over one mower twice and another once. After that I went to 4WD and have never come close to a problem again.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you for the feedback TundraBoy. I can swing it, just want to rationalize it :). If I want a 48" deck the only options standard are the X570 and X590 so it narrows down my options if I want PS lol Have you ever heard of getting toooo much tractor? :)
Tooooo much tractor...… impossible!

I don't understand the deck limitations. X500 series tractors are basically the same frame etc. When I got my x540 I had to select deck size (48 or 54) and the dealer just installed the one I wanted (48) with the price adjustment. One other thought. Tires.....I really like the HDAP's.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You don’t need a 700 series for steep hills, especially with half acre, 4 wheel ( or AWD) drive rips up the turf on tight turns ( don’t let anyone tell you differently because it does) and on a smaller lot you’ll have a lot of turning to do. In addition 4 wheel drive tractor weigh a lot, again not good on property less than 1 acre( hard to vary mowing pattern much) - I too have a little over an half acre – so no a 500 series isn’t too much tractor. Just make sure whatever model you get, you get the HDAP tires, a good compromise, they won’t rip up turf and give much better traction that turf tires

Yes John Deere will honor the warranty if you buy tractor separate from the deck – the X580 or X590 is definitely worth the upgrade price. You don’t say what part of country you live. In my case I went with the X590 because I live in Northeast USA, and snow blow with tractor in winter. EFi is wonderful for cold conditions- tractor starts first time every time no matter how cold (my X590 is in unheated garage) I don’t regret getting the X590 one bit. The power steering is great, hydraulic lift is very good with 47 inch blower. And don’t worry about RIO switch, easy to disable, in my case I never did disable it, after a while you don’t even think about it, just depress it when backing up as second nature

Big advantage off X500 series over say a husky- besides much stronger tranny, better engine, way stronger frame and much better steering mechanism is trade in value. If in say 5 to 7 years you move or want to upgrade, you’ll get a good chunk of your money back on trade in of X5xx series tractor, while the husky won’t be worth much. You really cant go wrong with 580 or 590

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
You don’t need a 700 series for steep hills, especially with half acre, 4 wheel ( or AWD) drive rips up the turf on tight turns ( don’t let anyone tell you differently because it does)
I have to disagree with the allegation of AWD "tearing up turf" on tight turns. The hydro 4wd is a pretty amazing feature that is seamless in operation. Have you operated a model with the AWD? The best way to explain it is a drive system that never spins a tire and doesn't do anything till it's needed.

I will agree that MFWD on the 2305 will tear up grass, especially when turning down hill, the outside front tire will scuff.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have to disagree with the allegation of AWD "tearing up turf" on tight turns. The hydro 4wd is a pretty amazing feature that is seamless in operation. Have you operated a model with the AWD? The best way to explain it is a drive system that never spins a tire and doesn't do anything till it's needed.

I will agree that MFWD on the 2305 will tear up grass, especially when turning down hill, the outside front tire will scuff.
Sorry couldn't disagree more. Tight turns on AWD machine usually rips up turf-- 100's on reviews on web stating that fact. A simple google search will verify what I'm saying. Yes AWD is fine in wide open spaces or gentle turns. maybe you have a field a weeds - but on manicured lawns- certain soil types its unavoidable

Listen AWD is tremendous. And in certain applications and property cant be beat- but you cant shoehorn 4 WD into every application- they are not especially good on smaller lots or lots that require a lot of maneuvering. AWD drive tractors weigh a lot- ( issue with soil compaction) again in wide open lots, or straight 'runs" you can vary mowing pattern to minimize the unavoidable ruts caused by mowing same pattern every time with 1500 lb tractor. 4WD or AWD tractors turn like tanks -- again not especially good on smaller lots - better suited to wide open area's -

Again not taking shots at 4 WD- they are tremendous, and on certain property types cant be beat. but I cant emphasize this enough, they are not right for every property type, application or every hill

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Sorry couldn't disagree more. Tight turns on AWD machine usually rips up turf-- 100's on reviews on web stating that fact. A simple google search will verify what I'm saying. Yes AWD is fine in wide open spaces or gentle turns. maybe you have a field a weeds - but on manicured lawns- certain soil types its unavoidable

Listen AWD is tremendous. And in certain applications and property cant be beat- but you cant shoehorn 4 WD into every application- they are not especially good on smaller lots or lots that require a lot of maneuvering. AWD drive tractors weigh a lot- ( issue with soil compaction) again in wide open lots, or straight 'runs" you can vary mowing pattern to minimize the unavoidable ruts caused by mowing same pattern every time with 1500 lb tractor. 4WD or AWD tractors turn like tanks -- again not especially good on smaller lots - better suited to wide open area's -

Again not taking shots at 4 WD- they are tremendous, and on certain property types cant be beat. but I cant emphasize this enough, they are not right for every property type, application or every hill
Have you used/operated/owned one of the new hydro 4wd or are you basing this one just what you have read?

I have own(ed) three 4WD units:

Honda 5518, this was 4WD and 4 wheel steer. It had a very sophisticated drivetrain and actually turned better in 4WD than it did in 2WD with not tire scuffing.

JD 2305, this will tear up grass in 4WD.

JD X758 seamless 4WD and does not scuff grass while turning.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
c5rulz- I’m happy for you that your 758 doesn’t scuff on tight turns. Needless to say not everyone feels that way—now back to Original poster looking for a 500 series tractor on his half acre lot.( not everyone is looking for 15K tractor) Any of the 3 500 series tractors will work

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
c5rulz- I’m happy for you that your 758 doesn’t scuff on tight turns. Needless to say not everyone feels that way—now back to Original poster looking for a 500 series tractor on his half acre lot.( not everyone is looking for 15K tractor) Any of the 3 500 series tractors will work
That is not correct.

The OP has two issues, mowing a small parcel and steep hillsides. IMHO, personal safety far outweighs other concerns. Prior to having 4WD machines I had conventional mowers. One tipped over once, and the 2nd tipped over twice. After that I decided life is too short to die mowing grass. BTW, the "whirling blades of death" do not stop immediately as the machine is going over. Since going to larger 4WD nothing even close to happening in well over 20 years of mowing steep hillsides. One can get an extremely nice gently used machine for way less than 15K. The 2018 X758 with 42 hours and warranty is just such an example.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ok getting back to original thread- a X500 series tractor can safely handle 15 to 20 degree slopes( 100’s of users on this forum can attest too) not only can 500 series handle those slopes, they are much more maneuverable on smaller lots, don’t weigh as much ( less soil compaction issues on half acre lots) and a new 500 series tractor can be half the price of a slightly used 758…

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
When comparing trucks or any car for that matter, I have never once heard it said that, "Boy this 2WD sure is better than a 4WD be it off road, in snow, sand or on slopes".

Lawn mowers are no different.

Mowers are dangerous on slopes, period.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You are on a 1/2 acre lot and you are looking at a "garden tractor" (instead of a "lawn tractor")???
Wrong POV I'm thinking. Even with that slope your still looking at just a mower at this point. Maybe you'd want a capable platform that will still be suitable if and when you move to mare acreage, myaybe.
I'd go down a step to a husky or a CC and save the $ that you could put into another machine when you got more room. To me that's spending wisely - we don't know what tommorow will bring.
We are on 1.5 acres with something of a slope and a run off ditch along the asphalt road. Our CC XT3 GSX, 54" Fab'ed deck does really well. And Wifie loves the PS and power lift. Actually it's almost too much of a mower, with the trees we have I might have been better off with a 48" deck.
The PS was the clincher for me.
I look at HD - pricey, Simplicity - rare around here, Husky - been there, done that (still got and occasionally use our 48" with the Kawa), and Kubota.
I really, really wanted the BX2200! But anything in that range was too much machine even considering hauling the horse manure. And I missed the Kubota GT by a week! Dealer sold his last (out of state) and wasn't replacing it. But again more $ than I could justify.
My 2 cents worth - spend your money wisely.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts