My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pump and cylinder are from an old dump trailer I just acquired for free. The gray fitting is has a hydraulic hose and the black port has nothing but a rubber hose. The cylinder appears to be a double suction cylinder. Since I am installing a new hydraulic system, should get a double action pump or a single action pump? I plan to use use the same cylinder and just change the pump and hydraulic lines and fitting.

Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most dump trailers only use a single acting cyl, so the one gray fitting is your pressure and would go at the bottom of the hyd cyl. The black hose can go to the top of the hyd cyl and will act as a breather for the cyl and also catch any oil that would bypass any oil that would pas by the hyd cyl seals.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is nice to know. Should I keep it single or switch to double action since the cylinder is double action and the pump will cost the same?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've made 2 different dump trailers and they both were single acting, the weight of the trailer will push the cyl down. So I guess it would be your call if you want it double acting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...got it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts