My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hooray I remembered to take pictures!! I'm getting set to start using our DR Power Leaf & Lawn vacuum this year, and I'm going to pull it on our new BX2380. If I try to connect it to the hitch on the frame (just hidden in the pic by the top link), there's no way I can maneuver the lower link arms to not get in the way of the jack stand of the vacuum. So option 1 is I take the 3 pt hitch off completely, or at least the lower link arms. That would probably steer easier and drastically reduce the risk of rollover since the connection is right by the rear axle. Obvious downside there is that I'd need to put that 3 pt hitch back on if I wanted to add ballast (our only 3 pt implement so far), and we have some ongoing projects where I want that handy. It also might be so tight of a connection that the jackstand hits the tractor fender, I can't recall.

Option 2 is I connect it to the drawbar between the lower links. But would I need to tighten the turnbuckles to avoid swaying left/right, or is swaying left/right good? Am I introducing some rollover risk since the connection point is now almost 2 feet behind and a few inches above the hitch? Do I need a quick hitch or some other solution to connect the top link to the drawbar to help stabilize things?

Thoughts? I'm new to towing in general and our old JD lawn tractor had to 3 pt hitch option. No matter what I do, I'm going to take things slow and be careful on the hills my first time out with it.

Thanks in advance all!

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
It should be fine using the drawbar that's mounted between the lower 3 point arms. If the sway chains do not let the arms hit the tires then there's no need to tighten them any more. Only possible issue is if the trailer gets too heavy in the rear so that the tongue lifts up, as there is no down force in the 3 point lift system, but with the engine and blower up in the front on the tongue itself there's little chance for that to happen.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,649 Posts
If you use the 3pt draw bar, your suction hose might need to be a little longer, especially for the tight left hand turns. Good point was brought up about tongue weight above. I’m guessing your 3pt moves up/down with your mower deck. If that’s the case, it might benefit to remove the links that raise/lower the 3pt, and install ridged bars from the 3pt arms up to the top link attachment point on the machine to lock the 3pt into position. This will also eliminate issues with negative tongue weight... you BX has the capability to keep the rear tires planted if there is some negative tongue weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thoughts, thanks. I'm hoping I don't need to lengthen the hose much, but long story short I have some extra I can use.

The 3 pt does raise with the mowing deck. I thought about buying some stabilizer arms to do what you suggested. Just trying to avoid another trip to the store and more money spent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up... I did take off the 3 pt hitch. Super easy once I realized those bushings just pull right out. No tools required. I think I'll use that drawbar I got for a 5 gallon bucket diy concrete ballast I'm planning on.

I pulled the lawn vacuum with the hitch on the frame. I encountered a rip in the hose that was starting already, and added length when I fixed it. Things were smooth sailing after that. The BX2380 was leaps and bounds better than our old JD LX288.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts