My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't that bad at 24* F this morning. Three pulls and we were off and away. I was talking with someone about how I didn't like the batteries and such of the electric start and how I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle. They mentioned when it was cold it's a different story... well I had to find out!

http://youtu.be/Qo5GvvUfXh4

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking... if it gets much colder than this morning, there is nothing outside that I need to use a Gravely for! I know it's not that cold for some of you but I do live in eastern North Carolina where I can be like that! I can see where it is 0* and you NEED to move snow, etc... I'll wait a day or two and it will be warm again here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree. KISS. It was 19* here at 5AM when I went out before work. 1 pull and she started. I was done in less than 10 minutes and got in my car and went off to work.
I will never own an electric start gravely.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
I've had generally good luck with strap-start models in winter, provided I keep them tuned. With a properly set up machine, it generally takes 1 pull with full choke, followed by 1-2 pulls with the choke backed off a bit.

A machine which is marginal is a different story.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
When I lived in Chicago I tried to start my 816 when the garage was -25. Applied full choke and hit the switch and it fired right up. I did not have a battery charger on the battery either so the battery was at greatly reduced capacity. That engine still continues to start and run no matter what the weather is like.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
I have been flowing this thread and last night it was 14.7 degrees out so I went out to my shop and my 1963 LI started up on first pull.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Started my Li this morning in Southern Maine with a pull strap. Took three pulls. It was 11*F outside. The Li is garaged and the temp in there was 20*. This tractor has also always been a one pull tractor. I was a little disappointed at three pulls but still glad she ran. Also it had been about a month since she had been started so go figure! The design is remarkably simple and reliable but not for the faint of heart! I will be using this for a snow blower until I can get my 5260 back together.

Nate

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would fall into the "It's too cold for me" category. It was 14* here this morning and I didn't feel like coming out at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts