My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I will need some sort of pulley puller or is there a specific flywheel puller that I will need? Can someone post a link of the product that I need to remove this? I've provided a picture. The big main bolt is off but it won't budge. You can see there are 2 holes that are drilled and tapped on the face of it not sure if those play any sort of role in the removal of it.

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/team_realtree1/?action=view&current=DSCF0527.jpg

I wasn't sure if any of these would work??

http://www.princessauto.com/view-all-products-in-shop?keyword1=pulley+puller

:thanku:

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
You need the 46 pc bolt type puller. Do you know, if you go to Autozone, you can borrow one? You don't need one of those every day.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't know what you have for tools etc. But you can make a puller from a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch flat stock 2" wide or so. Drill two holes that will match the two threaded holes in the flywheel. Then drill and thread a lager hole in the center in line with the shaft the size of a larger bolt you may have around' Drop two bolts through and thread into the flywheel. Run the center larger bolt through the bar and against the shaft. Tighten it good and snug and then hit straight down on it with a hammer. Tighten a bit more and rap it again. May take a few raps but it should pop it off
You can also if there is a place to get a couple pry bars under the wheel. Have someone pry up on the wheel and then with a good size punch rap straight down on the shaft. If it is not stuck to bad it may pop off. DON"T pry so hard yu you my break the flange or what ever on the wheel. It's the Rapping that does the work

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I know this may sound dumb but why are you looking on the Princess Auto site if you're in Michigan ?

I would think like LillysDad said that you could find an Autozone closer and they don't charge a tool rental fee.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
When pulling a hub, flywheel, fan or whatever it's a good idea to put the bolt back in the shaft but leave it a few turns loose while pulling the, in your case, flywheel. This protects the shaft from damage and keeps the flywheel from shooting off the shaft if considerable force is needed.

In the case of your flywheel a piece of steel flat stock a couple inches wide, a foot or so long and 3/8" or so thick with holes drilled to match those on each side of the retainer bolt would do the job. If you drill these two holes near one end of the bar, put the center bolt in the crankshaft and then bolt this bar down on top of it you can reach under the bar with an open end wrench and by backing the center bolt out force the flywheel off the crank. The reason for the longer length of bar stock is so you have something to hold the flywheel from turning while you back the center bolt out. A little grease on the top surface of the center bolt makes it easier to turn.

Easiest thing is to get a puller and use it. Sometimes it's necessary to drill a shallow hole in the center of the flywheel retainer bolt to keep the puller bolt from slipping off.

Mike

·
22,182 Posts
:ditto: All of the above.

Just curious. How come a Michigander is looking at Princess Auto Ltd.? Shipping across the border can be expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When pulling a hub, flywheel, fan or whatever it's a good idea to put the bolt back in the shaft but leave it a few turns loose while pulling the, in your case, flywheel. This protects the shaft from damage and keeps the flywheel from shooting off the shaft if considerable force is needed.

In the case of your flywheel a piece of steel flat stock a couple inches wide, a foot or so long and 3/8" or so thick with holes drilled to match those on each side of the retainer bolt would do the job. If you drill these two holes near one end of the bar, put the center bolt in the crankshaft and then bolt this bar down on top of it you can reach under the bar with an open end wrench and by backing the center bolt out force the flywheel off the crank. The reason for the longer length of bar stock is so you have something to hold the flywheel from turning while you back the center bolt out. A little grease on the top surface of the center bolt makes it easier to turn.

Easiest thing is to get a puller and use it. Sometimes it's necessary to drill a shallow hole in the center of the flywheel retainer bolt to keep the puller bolt from slipping off.

Mike
Thank you very much! I will give this a shot. The reason I am looking at princess auto is because I am visiting my relatives in Canada and there is a princess near by. There isn`t an auto zone that I know of. My grandson`s mower quit running and it seems like a good project to take on with him.

·
Registered
905 Posts
B&S makes a inexpensive puller for their flywheels. I'm a retired auto tech, I like to use special tools designed for a job.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm no longer a fan of smacking the end of a crank shaft. I fractured one a couple years ago. Although I was able to save it, it did fracture....

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Thank you very much! I will give this a shot. The reason I am looking at princess auto is because I am visiting my relatives in Canada and there is a princess near by. There isn`t an auto zone that I know of. My grandson`s mower quit running and it seems like a good project to take on with him.
Thats great you two will have some good times working on it together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts