My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here is a pulley and reversing disk I made for my sons RJ-35 Wheelhorse. Always folks looking for them ... I broke a 10-32 tap in the disc mounting hole and decided to make a new one so this one is junk. Well not junk but not good enough for a show tractor. Good luck and I hope you get some people looking for hard to find pulleys. Brian

Attachments

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Hey Bob,

That is really cool! I am always fascinated by people who can make something out of a block of raw material.

What might be a "ball park" estimate to make a 2-groove pulley about 5" in diameter with a 1" bore and slot for a 1/4" key?

Ted

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I was amazed to see how pulleys are made on that "How It's Made"tv show on Discovery--most all the machining is automated..you do some nice work,is that steel or billet aluminum you use to make them from?..

I'd like to find a metal lathe,one big enough to do things like open up the center holes in some rims I want to use on my tractor that had the right lug bolt pattern,but the centers are a 1/8" too small to fit over the hub..also I want to try making some wheel adapters to allow some 4 bolt ATV rims with 137mm bolt pattern to go on my 5 lug tractor hubs with a 4.5" bolt circle..

I have not found any for sale online,and a few places I asked about making some wanted 300+ bucks!..and almost as much if I had them open up some centers on 10" 5 lug trailer rims that will fit my tractor,and to widen them from 6" to 10" to better fit the wide ATV tires as an alternative to making the adapters!..I may be better off selling the tires and buying 12" ones instead..

A friend told me yesterday a guy he knew HAD a large lathe,and wanted to SCRAP it a few months back!-and thinks he already DID..I wasn't happy to hear that!.. :(
I'm no machinist,but I played around with lathes in trade school and ran a brake lathe at auto parts stores,I bet even one of those could do the things I want done,if I only had access to one now!..it would be nice to be able to make your own bushings,turn things down to size,etc..

·
Registered
185 Posts
That looks like fun, i wish i could afford a lathe. I'm working up my tools at the moment, got a welder, working on a drill press next, than a lath, maybe even a CNC some day! the tech school im going to next year has a few cnc's, a lathe, cnc plasma, buncha tigs, and a buncha other great stuff. The best part I go there half the day every day instead of normal highschool classes, and its free!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Kinda like the other guy,SnowmanPa,Are you taking orders?If so,is there a price in mind? I might be interested in a couple.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Nice work! You need to set yourself up to do some sand casting. Then you can start making some rough cast pulleys and just clean them up on the lathe. Just think, a broken tranny here, some scrap wheels here... next thing you know you are making your own stock for pretty much free!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work! You need to set yourself up to do some sand casting. Then you can start making some rough cast pulleys and just clean them up on the lathe. Just think, a broken tranny here, some scrap wheels here... next thing you know you are making your own stock for pretty much free!
I did that 30 years ago. My buddy gave me truck loads of pistons when he was scrapping motors. I just don't have the time to do it anymore...Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grizzly tools bought out Southbend and are now makeing lathes again.
I have a 9"...
It will be interesting to see what some of them look like. The new 2010 Grizzly catalogs are out and all the SBL stuff in it looks like the green grizzly stuff from years ago. The lathes shown are the same. The 4x6 bandsaw is the same except for an alum handle and guard. The machine vise is the same china stuff you see at the local flea market except for an alum handle. Pappagrizzly says new and inproved SBL 9", 10K's and heavy 10's are due out soon. Everything else looks like just a SBL logo slapped on some machines...Bob
http://grizzlyindustrial.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=south bend

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do you cut the keyway ?? is that done with A brouch; HOW ??:thanku:
Well i can do it 3 ways. With a keyway broach set that i have and use most of the time. And i have a metal shaper that i can use for bigger key slots and a file which is a lot of work but will do the job...Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts