My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two Gravely's last night on ebay. I thought it was a good price. $500. Both run. He hasn't used the C 7.6 in 3 years but has been using the 566 up until recently. He listed the following attachements: One regular sulky, one steering sulkey, one commercial 40" mower, one rototiller and one pulley attachement. I sent him an email earlier asking about the pulley attachment but haven't got a response yet. Do any of you know what he might mean by a pulley attachment? I couldn't see anything in the pictures he posted on ebay either.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I've usually seen the PTO equipped with a big flat belt pulley, although I've never seen anyone actually run any machinery with one. Does anyone have any photos of a Gravely powering flat belt equipment?

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I've usually seen the PTO equipped with a big flat belt pulley, although I've never seen anyone actually run any machinery with one. Does anyone have any photos of a Gravely powering flat belt equipment?
Here is a picture of the belt drive pto, I've not seen one in use on a Gravely. But I have a finish saw that is belt driven on a simplicity walk behind. Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'll try to find out what thats for.
I got everything home yesterday and the pulley attachement was what everyone said. It has a small 5" pulley but no bracket like I seen in some pictures. After I got the bird manure, grease and barn dust off the tractors, they look pretty good. The 566 runs very well after I cleaned the tank an carborater. The L1 is a 1963 and I need to spend a little time on it. Can't wait to start on it.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
:thThumbsUGood luck with them! That pto is a real score, I'd love to have one. I worked in an old machine shop that had belt drive tools with the shafts in the ceiling and wooden handles hanging down to engage the leather belts. I wonder if the Gravely could run some of the smaller tools. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I'd think that the biggest problem would be stability and keeping the belt aligned. Most machines running flat belts were large and heavy enough that the belt tension wouldn't displace them. I'm guessing that you would have to stake the Gravely down to keep it positioned and keep the belt correctly set. The crown on the pulley should help in setting up the alignment. The horsepower of the Gravely is fairly small, so I'm also wondering if you would be hampered by the lack of inertia in the system. Some of the earliest machines had fairly large flywheels opposite the pulley to help keep things turning when the power draw spiked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's for the chipper shredder attachment, but you can just get larger belts and run anything you want off it.. after all it's a gravely..

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,018 Posts
The flat belt hub comes off with a couple of set screws. You can get V belt pulleys at McMaster Carr. There were legs that mounted with the 4-bolt attachment bolts that could be bolted to the floor for stability. I was going to use mine for belt starting another Gravely model L/C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts