My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
last year i purchased a 1967 sears custom 10xl with a mower deck, snowblower, and dozer blade. it is in great condition. recently the battery has died, so i was jump starting it with my pickup. now the starting moter doesn't fully engage the fly wheel and instead it just grinds. i haven't had the time to take the motor apart to replace the starter, and instead have been starting it by spinning the pully that runs the snowblower. it sticks out of the side of the motor about 6 inches so it's easy to get access to. i just wrap about 3 feet of rope around the pully and pull it. the tractor starts on the third pull usually. i have no problem starting the tractor this way, but was wondering if this is good for the engine? or should i invest the time and money to fix the starter and replace the battery?? what do you guys think???

Thanks

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
Pull starting does not harm the engine at all, however, I would fix the electrical start for convenience purposes.

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
If the starter grinds when you try to start it that usually means the starter gear is stripped. The gear can be replaced without replacing the starter. However if the starter gear is good, Then the starter is worn out. Chances are its original. The gear uses the starter's torque to engage the flywheel, And if its worn out the starter won't engage and will grind on the flywheel. Try oiling the starter gear shaft first. If that doesn't work, You'll have to replace the starter or rebuild it. - Brad

·
Man w/skills
991 Posts
Wow, I totally took that the wrong way! I thought you meant you were pulling the whole tractor, then popping the clutch to start it. Based on gearing alone I was gonna say that'll never work with a belt driven tractor.

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum, without the totally wrong assumption!) ;)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
Pull starting it that way won't hurt it one bit. If that has a geared starter on it, the motor was probably replaced. They didn't have geared starters on tecumsehs on the customs or xl's ever. (to my knowledge) 1973 was the first year with the geared starter on the10 hp with ST/10

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
In 71, Customs came with geared starters I believe.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
skills4lou, u can pull start a beltdrive!!! ive pull starter many of my sears....u gotta use 3rd high, and have some weight on the butt to get the tires to hold....but its doable!

·
Man w/skills
991 Posts
Interesting. I stand corrected.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
dont worry, i thought it couldnt be done before too, but then we tried it...if u think about it, the belt holds when u but the power to the ground, so why wont it hold when the ground puts the power to the belt?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
What are you talking about with putting weight on the back Jon?

Just put your foot on the axle and give it a pull

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
What are you talking about with putting weight on the back Jon?

Just put your foot on the axle and give it a pull
Hugh, Jon is talking about pull starting with a truck or like push starting a motorcycle then popping the clutch. You need weight on the back so the tires won't just slide when you let out clutch and get resistance from motor while it's trying to turn over.
You are correct, if using a rope to "pull start" brace you foot and give it a yank.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
For convenience get it fixed. The back you save just might be your own! Although I have done this to a Bolens 1256 with a 12 HP. After a couple of times I got the starter rebuilt!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Dont use a rope to start anything,if someone else is standing behind you!..I got a good "whippin" once by standing too close when a friend fired up his walk behind tractor!..almost removed my eyeball,missed it by maybe 1/2 an inch!...

I find when using a rope,the larger the pulley you wind the rope onto,the better it works and its easier to pull..I've had an enging kick back and suck the rope out of my hands when using a small pulley ,and once on a mini-bike I had,the rope stayed in the knot groove when it started up,and it was spinning around like a helicopter..thought sure I was going to get wounded by it ,shutting the engine off awasn't easy with that thing flying wildly...
I learned how to make sure you get the engine up on the compression stroke before yanking the rope too,if you dont you can pull your shoulder or elbow joints out pretty easily if it kicks back on you...I've screwed up my knuckles that way!..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.