My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 18-20ft or so car trailer. Right now it's nicely parked on side of house. I however would like to put it by my shed. The only issue is that to get there, it's about 50-60ft down, with a decent slope.

I was wondering if my 18hp diesel Case 235 could do it? It wouldn't be maneuvering much, just pulling it up and guiding it down this 60ft or so slope.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Just do it and let us know how it worked out. :sidelaugh

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 18-20ft or so car trailer. Right now it's nicely parked on side of house. I however would like to put it by my shed. The only issue is that to get there, it's about 50-60ft down, with a decent slope.

I was wondering if my 18hp diesel Case 235 could do it? It wouldn't be maneuvering much, just pulling it up and guiding it down this 60ft or so slope.
How much does the trailer weigh, how steep is the slope, is it grass or dirt, do you have chains and wheel weights, etc etc ?

How do you normally move it ?

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
:wwp::wwp::wwp: So we can see.:sidelaugh

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Weight of the trailer and the degree of slope would really be needed even before you can get a decent "guess" here .. I believe

I can lift the tongue and move around a 5,000 plus pound trailer with my Bolens HT-23 and cat 0 3 point hitch .. on FLAT ground .. I would NEVER try it on any kind of a slope however.:Stop:

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Weight of the trailer and the degree of slope would really be needed even before you can get a decent "guess" here .. I believe

I can lift the tongue and move around a 5,000 plus pound trailer with my Bolens HT-23 and cat 0 3 point hitch .. on FLAT ground .. I would NEVER try it on any kind of a slope however.:Stop:
:ditto:Trust me being dragged and or pushed downhill by a trailer is no fun!! What seems like a slight slope takes on a whole new meaning when you have a trailer that outweighs the tractor,I'd think long and hard before attempting this one.:fing32:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I move my boat trailer and snowmobile trailer around all the time, even fully loaded. I make sure the FEL is on and 4x4 is engaged for weight and traction. without 4x4 I wouldn't do it on a slope.

·
10,731 Posts
The 235 would handle it fine. That's no toy tractor. Probably weighs half as much as most pickups. If you have room at the bottom of the hill to turn around, driving down nose first is best.

Pics of the 235 would help. With what, I'm not sure. I just want to see it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TractorData says it weighs over 1500#. I also have about 200# of ballast up front. I could easily add another 200# there. I don't see how the trailer would weight more then that...

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I'd have to agree with Cat, looked at some pics of a 235 CUT and looks pretty beefy to me, I would'nt think the trailer would outweigh it. Should'nt be a problem at all :rauch10:.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

So why can't your truck take it down there?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am going to assume your trailer has brake away brakes, I pull a 2,800 pound excavation trailer around, sometimes with the X749 however I run the brake away wire up to the seat.

I pull these trailers around quite often with a 2520 but the tractor weighs more than the trailer so there are no worries and I have a pretty good grade in the driveway and 6 JD weights on the 749.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I am going to assume your trailer has brake away brakes, I run the brake away wire up to the seat.

Make sure that battery is charged and working.. I would hate to see any of you hurt due to faulty or worn out battery..

If the slope is to much for a truck with worn tires.. what kind of tires does your tractor have? like said before.. "got chains and weights"?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Do you have turf tires or ag tires. Turf tires can be like skates on grass. If you have turf tires you have a big lawn mower. If you have ag tires you have a small tractor. I have one Kubota M5400 that is a tractor and one that is a really big lawn mower.

·
Josh
425 Posts
I move my trailers with the cub thats in the picture below. That cub is only slightly larger than your 2350. use 4wd, keep the loader on, firmly attache the tractor to the trailer. I like using my 3ph reciever cause in an instant I can drop my trailer to the ground and help me stop if need be.

I move my smaller gooseneck flatbed with a hook that is on the top edge of my bucket. Please note that the trailer in the picture below is the LARGER of my two goosenecks. The 7k trailer is mostly/totally empty when move it and my tractor does fine. I would never move a larger trailer with my loader.

I move a dump trailer that is rated for 12k gross weight with my tractor too. I've used my loader, but that got a little hairy even with a 3-500lb tiller hanging off the back of the tractor for weight.

I'd actually recommend backing down the hill, but that is just me. I have some rather large hills that my dually simply can't pull the trailers up/down.

·
22,175 Posts
In the "For what it's worth..." department, my 18' beavertail flatbed weighs a twitch over 1300 lb. I don't see a problem, especially if you wire up a momentary switch to operate the trailer brakes. Nobody really wants to ground their tongue jack when moving.

Use the guideline that truckers used to use. The lowest gear you need to go up a hill is the highest gear you can use going down.

Bob :rauch10:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts