My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have tru green to do my front lawn which is about a half acre and am now interested in possibly doing my own lawn with a pull behind sprayer.

My lot size is 1.67 acres, so I would want to do the whole lawn.
I have a John Deere LA 145 which is not a big lawn tractor .

I was looking at the tractor supply company at either the 15 gal or 25 gal.
What would be recommended to do a lawn my size?

Will my JD pull a sprayer?

Does anyone use TSC liquid weed and feed (Gordon's)? This stuff is $44 for 50000 sq ft. Is it any good or is another brand recommended.
Or what does evryone else use for there different feedings.

I'm very new to this and would like to hear what other people use in simple terms. lol

Looking forward to hearing you everyone

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had an LA145 two years ago and pulled a 15 gallon Deere sprayer, I have around 2 1/2 acres of grass, never had an issue. a 25 gallon is better as you don't have to fill as often but for a homeowner a 15 is fine.

As for sprays, I do this as part of our business oferieng to clients and we spray thousands of gallons in the run of a year, I use Nature's Lawn Care products, all Organic and can cure just about every issue going including compacted soil, all can also be mixed together.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Are there stores that sell Natures Lawn Care products or do you have to buy them online?

Is the stuff at Tractor Supply Company any good? The reason I ask is I have one locally where I can purchase

This is the stuff at TSC or is it junk
http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/liquid-15-0-0-weed-amp-feed-2-1-2-gal--4203846

Thanks everyone, I'm just trying to gather as much info before I jump into this
Only on line, Stuart Franklin owns the company and the rights to these products, super nice guy and really knows his stuff, author of a few lawn care books and owns a company that sprays over 2,000 lawns in NY

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Are there stores that sell Natures Lawn Care products or do you have to buy them online?

Is the stuff at Tractor Supply Company any good? The reason I ask is I have one locally where I can purchase

This is the stuff at TSC or is it junk
http://www.tractorsupply.com/weed-killers/liquid-15-0-0-weed-amp-feed-2-1-2-gal--4203846

Thanks everyone, I'm just trying to gather as much info before I jump into this
That is an Herbicide, most of us in lawn care have gone Organic due in part to rules and licenses, where I live a homeowner would face a $1,500 fine for spraying the product you posted, a company is a $2,500 fine and their vehicle seized.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is an Herbicide, most of us in lawn care have gone Organic due in part to rules and licenses, where I live a homeowner would face a $1,500 fine for spraying the product you posted, a company is a $2,500 fine and their vehicle seized.
Thanks picframer, this is why I'm asking this stuff now before I make any purchases.
I was under the impression if it was for your own personal lawn you don't need a license but I'll have to check with the PA Dept of AG.
Don't need any fines. LOL

I'm just trying to see if I can manage my lawn for cheaper than Tru Green does it for.'
If I could use what I mention above I could do my whole lawn for cheaper than TG charges for a quarter my lawn. Thats if the stuff works good.
But I'm open to all ideas.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks picframer, this is why I'm asking this stuff now before I make any purchases.
I was under the impression if it was for your own personal lawn you don't need a license but I'll have to check with the PA Dept of AG.
Don't need any fines. LOL

I'm just trying to see if I can manage my lawn for cheaper than Tru Green does it for.'
If I could use what I mention above I could do my whole lawn for cheaper than TG charges for a quarter my lawn. Thats if the stuff works good.
But I'm open to all ideas.
Good idea, I know the stores here sell this stuff but even the homeowner can get into trouble, I always tell clients and friends in the business to call and ask first, had one client end up with a massive fine for spraying Round Up Pro, his place is on the Ocean and a neighbour called.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not familiar with your area but in Indiana we can use anything sold in the stores. If your lawn is northern type grass (Bluegrass, Rye,fescue) and you shop TSC the Trimec is what I would use on weeds and spread a dry fertilizer. The Trimec is normally around $20 a gallon and is good for I believe 32,000 square ft.

I have a 25 gallon sprayer from TSC and have had no problems at all. My lawn looks as good if not better that the ones done by the pro's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not familiar with your area but in Indiana we can use anything sold in the stores. If your lawn is northern type grass (Bluegrass, Rye,fescue) and you shop TSC the Trimec is what I would use on weeds and spread a dry fertilizer. The Trimec is normally around $20 a gallon and is good for I believe 32,000 square ft.

I have a 25 gallon sprayer from TSC and have had no problems at all. My lawn looks as good if not better that the ones done by the pro's.
Heatman, if i'm able to go this route how many times a year do you spray Trimec?
And what granular fertilizer do you use?
Do you apply both at the same time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Penn State has an excellent turfgrass extension program. I suggest you contact your local county Extension office for information regarding turf maintenance for the type of grass you're managing in your lawn. You can get information regarding fertilization programs, preemergent herbicide programs for annual grassy and broadleaf weeds and postemergent programs for emerged annual and perennial weeds. You can also learn how to take a representative soil sample from your lawn area so that you can get a good soil test. A good university-run soil lab will give you a good test cheap, and those test results will insure you're applying the needed nutrients as well as adjusting pH if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts