My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Best stuff I've found here is "milestone", $106 a qt here but 7 oz will cover an acre. Use it on bermuda grass here and doesn't bother it. Check to see how it will work on your grasses.
Mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have used the Liquid 15-0-0 Weed & Feed from Tractor Supply with good results on Bermuda and St Augustine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used the Liquid 15-0-0 Weed & Feed from Tractor Supply with good results on Bermuda and St Augustine.
Thanks for the reply, this is what i would want to use

Is there anything else you spray on your lawn.

I'm new to this, just looking into what my options are

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I've also used the non-weed version from the same mfg sold at TSC.

I've sprayed for grasshoppers too, I'd have to see if I can dig up what I used for that. What I do remember is that I had some mix left in the tank when I was done so I went back and hit some areas again (and again) - bad move, it killed a couple ornamental bushes that were only a couple months old.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I used TSC's Gordon’s Farm Liquid Weed & Feed 15-0-0 on my lawn twice this year. It really helped my newly seeded lawn.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I am interested in liquid feed..Anymore comments ??
15-0-0 in a gallon is a mere pound of nitrogen. It's much, much more expensive than using a dry fertilizer and all of it will be absorbed by the lawn almost immediately.

Economically it just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
15-0-0 in a gallon is a mere pound of nitrogen. It's much, much more expensive than using a dry fertilizer and all of it will be absorbed by the lawn almost immediately.

Economically it just doesn't make sense to me.
For some reason, my lawn responds much better to the liquid fertilizer than granular fertilizer: I started out using the Menards brand granular and after two applications, didn't really see any results. After only 1 application of the Gordon's 15-0-0 liquid, my lawn looked much better.

It may just be coincidental; maybe it was just the different times of year; maybe the brand (vs. type) made the biggest difference.

Admittedly, this is only my second year of lawn maintenance, so I have very little experience with using the fertilizers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I see a product that says 'weed and feed' a big red flag goes up. The description is very misleading. 15-0-0 is nothing more than nitrogen and is not a complete fertilizer. Look for something like 20-20-20 soluble. What kind of weeds are you trying to treat? This is very important. If it's a broad leaf then 2-4-D is my choice. If you are going after crab grass anything you put on this time of year is a complete waste of time and money. Read the label and I will explain what it all means.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. Do you guys buy your dry fertilizer from box stores?
Or from where. At box stores it seems pretty expensive. Do you use a special kind?

Sorry for these questions but just want to be as informed as possible

Thanks again

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have found good pricing at the co-op......probably 1/2 the price of the designer brands at the box stores. You might want to check your area for a John Deere/Lesco. I have purchased a considerable amount of product from mine here in the past year.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I use a tow behind spreader with granules too, but I've not found where to buy that in bulk for a reasonable price. I too am new to maintaining a large lawn, this being our first year in a house with acreage.

I have had good results with the liquid fertilizer from TSC, but I'm new at maintaining a large lawn and have a lot to learn. I will say the liquid 15-0-0 Weed and Feed from TSC knocked dandelions out for me with a single application.

Crabgrass is the problem weed for me. I've read that a good lawn will choke it out and can attest that where I have good St Augustine, crabgrass is not a problem. I have a mix of St Augustine and Bermuda - St Augustine in shaded areas, Bermuda everywhere else.

Biggest problems areas for me are areas that are not irrigated - those areas are mostly Bermuda, but rainfall dictates how good that grass looks. That darn crabgrass really shoots up in those areas. I understand a pre-emergence is essential to control it, not sure what product to use or when to apply it though.

Any recommendations on what product to use to control crabgrass?

Lawn care sure was a lot easier when my entire lot was only about 70'x120'.

·
Registered
128 Posts
KCav.....If you have a JD/Lesco in your area, go talk to them. The guys at my local Lesco not only gave me advise on my renovation but also gave me a monthly schedule of what fertilizer to use as well as point me in the right direction regarding crabgrass & other weeds I had.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
There's a John Deere close to the TSC I go to, I'll have to drop in and see what they have to say. I was under the impression they only sold equipment, never thought to ask them about maintaining a lawn.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lesco was a wholesale lawn/garden store geared to the professional landscapers. They were bought out by John Deere not too long ago.

http://www.lesco.com/

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Used the store locator at the link you provided for Lesco and there are several Lesco stores in the area. I'll stop by one of those locations instead of the big JD store.

Thanks avguy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts