My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 1440 where when I go to turn on the PTO, I flick it on like I always have, it will run for a second then it shuts off, and then the motor shuts off. Acts almost like I got off the seat with the brakes off, but instead of the PTO and engine shutting off together, the PTO shuts off first and the motor cuts out. I cant really think of why it would do this.

Another problem I have is the amp light is on dimly. If im at idle, it is at its dimmest, but when I throttle the motor up, it gets brighter.

I put a new battery in it a month ago, because my regulator was bad and it drained my battery down. I drained down the new battery down again, so I got a new volt regulator and jumped my battery, hoping that the tractor's charging system would charge the dead battery up.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you have a voltage issue, your Pto takes like 11.8 volts to run and if you don't have it then it will not work. Also I would check your charging system and make sure you have proper voltage, say somewhere in the 14 volt range. Just because you put in the new regulator dosn't mean you have the amps comming out the stator to support the charge system. should have like 3300 out of the stator and then the regulator will do its job.
Hope this helps good luck

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
AS above, I suspect your charging system. When you turn on the electric PTO, it drains the battery and your engine is probably equipped with a solenoid in the bottom of the carb which must have 12 V to it all time to start and run, when it doesn't get power, it closes and the mower engine stops.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AS above, I suspect your charging system. When you turn on the electric PTO, it drains the battery and your engine is probably equipped with a solenoid in the bottom of the carb which must have 12 V to it all time to start and run, when it doesn't get power, it closes and the mower engine stops.

Walt Conner
That makes total sense. Thank you sandhill and Walt. I'll look into it this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts