My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Frontier RC1048 for my 2305. Can anyone give me instructions concerning cutting the pto shaft to proper length? Instructions that came with it are kind of unclear. Thanks

JD 2305
62" mmm Indep lift
5 suitcase weights
200Cx FEL
Frontier 4 ' Disc harrow
JD 647 Tiller
Frontier 4' BB
Frontier RC 1048 Cutter

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
In general, you want a bit of clearance inside between the two shaft halfs when the unit is adjusted so that the shaft is in the shortest position, this is when the pto shaft is parallel to the cutter pto. This will give you the most shaft engagement without any binding. Cut a bit off at a time of the smaller diameter inside shaft as needed to achieve, do not run unit or even lift unit to parallel until you have measured/cut correctly with no binding in closest position. When iyou are in closest position, you still should be able slide back sufficient to remove pto shaft, meaning you cannot not run while bottoming the shaft. Trim outer guard as needed to sustain overlap by preventing binding/overrun of the halfs. Remove sharp edges and chips, Regrease prior and after assy. Hope this helps. Easier to do than describe I think! I have never had to cut the larger diameter shaft to properly adjust.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
Paul,

That is a great resource! :thThumbsU I think I'll make a sticky out of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just purchased a Frontier RC1048 for my 2305. Can anyone give me instructions concerning cutting the pto shaft to proper length? Instructions that came with it are kind of unclear. Thanks

JD 2305
62" mmm Indep lift
5 suitcase weights
200Cx FEL
Frontier 4 ' Disc harrow
JD 647 Tiller
Frontier 4' BB
Frontier RC 1048 Cutter

If you are using the IMatch then trimming is not needed, since you gain a few inches. Good luck, :thThumbsU

·
Registered
147 Posts

JD 2305
62" mmm Indep lift
5 suitcase weights
200Cx FEL
Frontier 4 ' Disc harrow
JD 647 Tiller
Frontier 4' BB
Frontier RC 1048 Cutter
Can't help you with the shaft length. but have a ??

What do you mean independent lift? A guess on my part would be that it's seperate from the 3 point hitch??

If so I want it too!!

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
bob,

You most likely do not want the independent lift option. Why? Because everything works just fine without it. Yes, the 3PH control does raise and lower the deck, but the height is controlled by the adjustment knob. If you wanted to use the 3PH while the deck is on (although why would you want to use your ~$2500 deck as a skid plate?), just lock the knob in the transport position.

The independent lift uses two ports of the joystick SCV. This means you lose either the lift/lower or curl function on your loader (which many of us use while the mower deck is on).

Save yourself the $! :)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
JDFan, it only uses one port, the yellow one is regenerative...but everything else I agree with.

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
Thanks GADeere, I didn't realize that. :)

·
4,221 Posts
I only keep the MMM on with the FEL for very light work. Like planting a small bush or just adding a little mulch around a tree. The MMM can be removed in 2 minutes so it has never been a big deal. Nothing like protecting your fan with a $2500 skidplate! That's a good one JDFAN! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
209 Posts
hi i am in the proces of cutting my pto shaft to suit the potato digger implement.

i have removed plastics and have marked up the longest and shortest points of the tubes compared to the yokes/forks.

i think i need to remove some extra metal to allow for the undoing of the shaft from the tractor pto output shaft.

the manual of the pto shaft states that the minimum ratio for a normal pto shaft is 'contact/working point' of tubes is 1/3 of the tube(inner or outer.)

joseph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts