My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my new MMM PTO seal in place. When I first attempted to put the new seal in, I got a pretty good leak and lost most of the new hydraulic fluid I had just put in. :fing20: What I had failed to do was to replace the 1" collar or sleeve that fits around the PTO. The inner diameter of the metal sleeve is rubberized. There was no rubber left on the original sleeve. I not only tore up my seal, but also wore out the rubber or hard plastic composite that kind of acts like an o-ring. Of course, neither of the 2 JD dealers told me the sleeve had an "internal o-ring" (for lack of a better term) when I asked them if it was missing an o-ring. :fing20::fing20: Also, I didn't get all of the old seal out, leaving the outer diameter which had metal inside of the rubber. I thought that was part of the housing!:ROF:fing20:

The seal was under $3, the 1 inch sleeve was about $9, Low-Viscosity fluid I went through was about $65, and hydro filter was over $20, I believe. I needed to do a fluid change anyway, so I guess you could cut the cost of the filter and cut the cost of the fluid in half. Worse thing was the down time, as I am working a lot, the heat in my pole barn (mid 100's heat indexes), and being out of town on the weekends. You could have baled my yard after I got done mowing.

Here are some pics for those of you who haven't done the tranny servicing yet. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the new parts. You can still see the oil soaked burnt grass on the tranny. I bush hogged for 4.5 hours and inadvertently left the PTO control in middle (rear + MMM) position. That's what happens when you wedge a cup between the seat and fender, and don't pay attention to what you just did. I need to make :fing20: as part of my signature.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As a new JD owner I am curious, why did leaving the PTO selector in both positions cause the seal to go?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....... why did leaving the PTO selector in both positions cause the seal to go?
The MMM PTO was running for over 4 hours and twisting the tall grass and what not around the PTO. I spent a good amount of time just pulling and cutting the debris off the PTO. I smelled burning grass early on, but I just thought it was grass around the exhaust.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
The MMM PTO was running for over 4 hours and twisting the tall grass and what not around the PTO. I spent a good amount of time just pulling and cutting the debris off the PTO. I smelled burning grass early on, but I just thought it was grass around the exhaust.
Oh man! That sounds like something I would do.

So, the grass wrapped around the pto so tight it actually bogged it down and heated it up? The heat then caused the seal to go bad? Yikes!

Thanks for the post and warning. I bet a lot of folks will benefit from your mishap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh man! That sounds like something I would do.

So, the grass wrapped around the pto so tight it actually bogged it down and heated it up? The heat then caused the seal to go bad? Yikes!

Thanks for the post and warning. I bet a lot of folks will benefit from your mishap.
Ditto, thanks!!.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It never bogged down, but it definitely caused the seal and sleeve to wear down. You wouldn't believe how tight the weeds were wound up around the shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts