My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a IH Cub 782 with pto problems. So far i've replaced the ignition switch, pto switch and the relay. Jumped the pto directly to the battery and it will run. Checked the air gap and it looks ok, fuses are good, brake and seat switch are both hooked up. Checked every wire and harness I could see and all seems normal. This thing is starting to become a money sink and i'm outa ideas. Would it be possible to buy a toggle switch from radio shack and just run it right to the pto? Or would that burn something up?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There are two different wiring diagrams for the 782. It depends on the Chassis Serial Number range. What is your Serial Number....???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The relay is mounted to the side kinda just under the pto switch a bit. It has 1 3 prong and 1 2 prong harness. Also I keep reading about not using this mower on banks/hills, how do I tell if I have the series I or series II kt17?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well....there is something ODD here. With the Serial Number you provided, there is NO replay for that Range.

There is a Relay in the CCC/MTD built 782 with Serial Number 720,000 and higher.

The Kohler KT-17 Series Motors had a "Spec" number (Specification).
Spec No: 24001 to 24299 = Series I
Spec No: 24300 & higher = Series II

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, strange, last owner wrote serial in manual down wrong. Here it is straight from the plate..

Model #144782399
Serial # 2050601U733154

On the engine sticker I have 24302 KT17S 14009080

Looks like a series II, would that be safe to run on a couple small hills?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OK....we are getting someplace now.

Your 782 (CCC/MTD built) also has a "Reverse Switch". It is in the dash under the Hydro Speed Control Lever. When the lever is pushed into the reverse mode, it will cut the PTO off.
There are two brown wires that go to this switch. In normal operation, this switch is closed. When the lever is in the reverse position, it opens the circuit to the reverse relay.

Click on this link for a color coded wiring diagram. Look to the diagram for serial number 720,000 and greater...... Diagram

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know which harness your talking about, it has a 2 pin connector with 1 pin being absent and another single pin connector on the side of it. Dark outside now so I will have to continue the troubleshooting tomorrow morning. Thanks a bunch for the wiring diagram and the assistance.

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I had an IH782. It was a good tractor. Hang in there, you will find the source of the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did some more testing with my meter. On the reverse relay, with ignition switch on I have power on the orange, yellow(when I hold down seat switch) but no power on black or brown. Checked the PTO switch and I have power on the orange but no power on black or brown. That reverse safety switch is kinda strange, it has 2 prongs on top and 1 on the side. My harness will fit 1 prong on top and the one on the side, nothing going to the second prong on top.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How exactly does that reverse switch under the dash work? There is a little button on the side of it I can click with my finger but the speed control lever dosen't come close to hitting that button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled that reverse switch out and looks like a piece is broken off. Can I connect the 2 brown wires together to bypass that switch? Don't like the idea of pto shutting off in reverse anyway.

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
i'm not sure about your model, but the reverse switch on my 2185 is discontinous when the reverse pedal is pressed. it basically has an arm on the pedal pivot rod that presses that releases the reverse switch lever, thereby temporarily eliminating the ground for the PTO.

so, my guess is yes. if you tie those two wires together, it will be continuous and should work fine. but it is a safety violation. with that said, i zip tied my switch lever closed (continuous) for two reasons:

1. having the deck shut off in reverse is just silly and sometimes i need to mow in reverse
2. having the pto disengage and re-engage every time you reverse just adds more wear to a very expensive item

btw, i was having problems with my PTO not wanting to re-engage after the mower got hot. my first solution was to remove the engine side covers. this greatly improved re-engagement and also should help my motor last longer (poor man's oil cooler). the next season, i disassembled the PTO, and then resurfaced the contacting clutch discs (just metal plates) with a right angle die grinder with an 80 grit rol-loc. i then ground off a little of the outer disc center hub to reduce the air gap. these two things have completely eliminated all issues with PTO engagement and this PTO has 550+ hours on it!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I assume, you realize, that the PTO has three (3) positions to it. There is OFF - RUN - START.

Start is a Momentary Contact switch function that starts up the PTO Circuit and once released, it goes back and stays in the Run Position.

·
chicks mow my yard...
134 Posts
you already said it worked when you went directly from the battery to the PTO, right? well, that would indicate that your ground (including your safety switches) is good. but, here is the process to check ground and supply circuits...

do you have a multi-meter? then have a friend sit on the tractor (in case it has a seat switch) and check for continuity between the pto and ground. one of the wires should be continuous (the ground) the other should not (the wire going to the relay/battery).

if the above checks out, turn the key to on (you shouldn't have to start it), pull out the pto switch, and with your friend in the seat, start checking voltage. start at the pto, and work your way back thru the relay to the battery. if there is not voltage on the both sides of the relay big wires then you either have a bad relay or no voltage from the ignition OR no ground for the switching voltage.

turn the key off, and check for continuity at the little wires on the relay. one should be continuous (ground) the other should not (open since it is battery voltage controlled by ignition switch). if you find continuity, then turn on ignition, pto switch, friend in seat and start checking voltage from relay back thru ignition.

that's how you do it. you start at the accessory and start eliminating items working backwards. not hard, but you will need a mult-meter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts