My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tractor (NH TT75) has a PTO engaging lever (Big orange knob) and PTO coupling lever (under the seat). For the life of me I cant explain why there are two levers that essentially do the same thing.

Also when I try to engage the coupling lever when the engine is running, it grinds. I have to turn the tractor off and then move it and turn the tractor back on. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
the coupling lever is probably a selector for front vs rear PTO?
the PTO leaver is On/Off for the PTO (whichever one is selected)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the coupling lever is probably a selector for front vs rear PTO?
the PTO leaver is On/Off for the PTO (whichever one is selected)
The tractor doesnt have a front mounted PTO. Wish it did. I was thinking maybe a ground speed PTO? Does that still exist?

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,929 Posts
If you really want one up front, depending on how much power you want out of it, you could use either a hydraulic motor, or mount a gearbox to the rear pto (you probably want this to reverse the pto direction, but I'm not sure if front mount attachments expect the same or reverse direction) and then run a shaft under the tractor to the front.

Edit: If your tractor has a clutch, maybe push the clutch in before trying to engage the pto.

You might also get the operators manual for the tractor, it probably will answer your questions about how to use the tractor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you really want one up front, depending on how much power you want out of it, you could use either a hydraulic motor, or mount a gearbox to the rear pto (you probably want this to reverse the pto direction, but I'm not sure if front mount attachments expect the same or reverse direction) and then run a shaft under the tractor to the front.

Edit: If your tractor has a clutch, maybe push the clutch in before trying to engage the pto.

You might also get the operators manual for the tractor, it probably will answer your questions about how to use the tractor.
Sounds like a major surgery for a self proclaimed shade tree mechanic like me. LOL. Forgot to mention it, but pushing the clutch doesnt make any difference. The manual is rather vague on the issue, it just states how to engage and disengage the PTO but never mentions why you need two levers. I am thinking that maybe the tractor has the option of a ground speed PTO but I am not really sure it does.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,929 Posts
6 years ago, the most I had modified anything was to create slightly longer handlebar braces so the handlebars on my lawn mower were a little taller (as I'm pretty tall). But since then, I bought a MIG welder and learned how to do a reasonable weld on it (and bought other tools, and am very fortunate to inherit a lathe from my parents), and have used these things to add 4wd to my pickup truck, make a 34" deck for one of my Snapper walkbehind mowers, make snow plow, and power brush/snowblower attachments for both Snapper walkbehinds so I can use them year-round, and a bunch of other stuff. Each project doesn't necessarily work the first time, but most stuff works very well by the time I've made the 3 version of it (modifying the initial product twice).

But it starts with deciding to try to make it happen...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts