My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Our little workhorse here at the shop is a Kubota 7310. Someone CONSTANTLY is turning on the PTO to high when operating it, though we have nothing hooked up to it. I have tried repeated training, and have only gotten a hundred responses of "wasn't me!"

I want to fabricate a simple lock for the PTO lever. My idea is to cut a plate that locks over the oh-crap handle and the PTO lever making it impossible to move. I was also thinking of drilling a small hole in the lever and putting a locking pin through it.

Any simpler ideas?

-Sean

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Training is the best answer. The next discussion will be on how to override a home made lock out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How about a handle that shocks them when they touch it??:eek:

That will show them!

But on a more serious note, my B 2320 has a lock for the 3 point, to prevent you from using it when I have the back hoe on, so maybe that would work on you tractor?

WB

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
disallow use of the tractor for one operator per day.... after each had a turn at not-operating it, make a note of which day the lever was left untouched.... what you do with that information is then up to you...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that training is the answer. Unfortunately, I'm not around enough, and it is generally (me thinks) a manager who does it. I'm just going to wrap the handle in four point barbed wire. Should get the point across.

Waterboy, are you talking about the 3point lock beneath the seat? Works a bit differently than I'm talking about. Or is it something that came with your backhoe?

·
22,083 Posts
Have each operator get on and take the unit for a test drive to evaluate a steering complaint. Have them drive it in a figure eight about 20' in diameter and again at tight radius, then park the unit and get off. It may be that someone is inadvertently moving the control handle without realizing it when they dismount.

I'm not familiar with Kubotas and their control locations, but on my MF 2310 it is well within the realm of possibility.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tudor. You may well be right. The controls are out there, and given the size of the manager's "PTO" he may well be brushing it against the lever when he removes it from the seat. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree that training is the answer. Unfortunately, I'm not around enough, and it is generally (me thinks) a manager who does it. I'm just going to wrap the handle in four point barbed wire. Should get the point across.

Waterboy, are you talking about the 3point lock beneath the seat? Works a bit differently than I'm talking about. Or is it something that came with your backhoe?
yes, it came with my backhoe. It is a little bracket that hooks around the 3 point raise/lower lever on that right side of the operator's seat. It prevents you from raising or lowering the 3 point, because on my particular tractor, if you do that with the backhoe on, it will split the case of the backhoe control valve. If you want, I will take a picture to show you what I mean.

WB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it came with my backhoe. It is a little bracket that hooks around the 3 point raise/lower lever on that right side of the operator's seat. It prevents you from raising or lowering the 3 point, because on my particular tractor, if you do that with the backhoe on, it will split the case of the backhoe control valve. If you want, I will take a picture to show you what I mean.

WB
WB, that would be great. I'm in the process of setting up a more decent fab shop over here, and would probably be able to make it pretty quickly. Thanks a bunch.

-Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfect! Thanks WB. That is kind of what I was considering putting together. Not so much a lock, as something to keep "accidents" from happenneing.

Off to lube the old girl in a bit....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Perfect! Thanks WB. That is kind of what I was considering putting together. Not so much a lock, as something to keep "accidents" from happenneing.

Off to lube the old girl in a bit....
Glad I could help, Sir!

WB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts