My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if you can control it to be less aggressive for leaf raking. Dethatching would take more aggressiveness than leaf raking. If it's designed for pine straw, it will probably work for both, I would imagine. I'll also be interested if anyone has any ideas, as I might also be interested in the product for the same applications. Used more aggressively, might it have some overseeding prep application?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it is attached to the rear PTO, one can raise and lower it.
I would assume if you lower it all the way, it would thatch ones lawn.
One could also weld extensions on it to lower it more.
Replacement splines are $ 15.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like that might work well for ripping up all the loose leaves and grass in the lawn. Easy enough to put on and off.

I imagine with a bit of thought one could modify it to work with an I-Hitch.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Because it is attached to the rear PTO...
You had me going there for a minute -- I was wondering what this new implement was and how it would work. But don't you mean the 3PH, not the PTO? :D

Either way, I like it.:fing32:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry,
I meant 3 pt hitch

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with the owner.

He said the red one had 2 tack welded splines and they easily broke off.
The yellow they are screwed in place.

I once used a spline dethather and broke a few splines and they cost ~ $ 15
on top of the rental. That is what made me think this could be used for de-thatching.

Plus my parents had this large wheel, pull behind, with long spring splines on it and it rotated clockwise at an angle to rake leaves. A tree fell on it, so I never really got to use it a lot. My first take on it, it produced very small rows of leaves and it took many passes to move the leaves, this was 10 yrs ago.

I have a lot of trees/leaves!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a back pack leaf blower, but it takes many hours to blow the leafs,
especially, if they are wet!

So my thought is to use this implement, on my, 3 pt hitch to drag the majority of my leaves
into piles that I can depose with the Loader 20 and my Echo leaf blower.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also de-thatching!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if it would push leaves? It seems that pulling them, at least on my property where the leaf deck can get 3 inches deep, would accumulate them under the tractor, which is what happens when I try to do it with my lawn tractor. I think you could get a bigger pile by pushing, but then the tines would be going backwards, which I wouldn't think would matter much for just pushing leaves. Thoughts? If that would work, I could make some very quick large piles, which would facilitate removal.

Some trees are starting to turn colors here, and leaves are already dropping.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe a combo of pull and push into the woods?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've used my landscape rake to pile up the leaves. Works pretty good and reversable. Just keep top link short when pulling and long when pushing to make the rake less aggressive on the grass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've always had pretty good luck picking leaves and loose grass up with my sweeper, as long as it's dry. The appeal of this rig to me is that it might work well as a thatcher. I've got one of those small pull behind thatchers but it's spretty flimsy and there are not a lot of tines on it. And you have to put weights on it to hold it down. This one might work a lot better. Once the leaves and loose grass are all pulled free a good sweeper should pick them up without too much trouble. My materials collection system might pick them up as well.

I wonder if they will ship to Canada?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It sounds like one of us is going to have to be the guinea pig, try this thing out, and report back here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts