My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is on the way and now that I own an X738 w/ 3pt hitch I have given hard thought to a tractor mounted wood chipper. I own a great 15hp tow behind chipper capable of chipping logs to 5". In most cases that's just fine, but dry oak can be a killer, and I have plenty of that.

So, before I go crazy my limited research tells me that for an X7xx w/ rear PTO I should be looking at something that requires 15-20hp at the PTO shaft. That's fine, but how much HP does the X7xx series develop at the PTO shaft, and if I go this route will I get the shaft?

Here's an example of what I'm looking at. Hydraulic feed, etc..

And here's what I own. And if anyone is interested my tow behind is 420cc, 14 HP, electric start, and for sale at $1750 w/ spare original 9.5HP Kohler.

Suggestions?? Comments??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a Vermeer BC625. It has a 25HP Kohler Command Pro engine. While it can chip 2" or even 3" branches without slowing down, a 4-6" log branch longer than a few feet will slow it down. Luckily, it has autofeed, so when the engine slows down, the hydraulic feed stops feeding and waits for the engine to catch up. It takes a LOT of energy to chip large, hard, dry wood. Big commercial chippers can have 50 to 100HP engines or even more for the really big ones. At 18HP, you will need to feed it really slowly or have an autofeed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
5” dry oak sounds like firewood to me. Plenty folks would come take that away for you and save you the work chipping it. Make a decent pile and you might trade it for labor.

I grew up in central Maine and logging is big there. There is nothing like the sound of a tree-length chipper filling a 53’ box trailer headed to the pulp mill. I wonder how many hp those bad boys have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
Personally I believe that 3-point is too much for your tractor. That tow behind is very cool and would be great for my dad and I up in the mountains. I do like th eauto feed on the 3 point though for sure as I have 2 different chippers that don't have that and after using one with the auto feed man it was nice.

That being said, I agree with Turbo and Ariens, you are chipping up firewood if you are chipping more than 3" pieces. I use 3" stuff to split up for kindling or burn whole.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
The lift capacity of the X7 sreies 3 point lift is only 450 lbs. and that thing weighs 900 lbs., so you'll have to figure out some way to get it to where you're going to be doing your chipping and leave it there and just hook up the tractor to power it, and it will not perform like it does in the videos on their web site as the x7 series only puts out the very minimum requirement in horsepower to power that thing, if that much, while the tractor they are using in their vidao those are much larger more powerful tractors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I had chosen a generic link to the company, not the link to the actual chipper I feel would be a good match. The chipper below weighs in at 595lbs, far less than I have lifted and continue to lift with the X738 3pt hitch. The chipper also only requires 15hp at the PTO and has hydraulic in feed / outfeed with feed rate selection. When chipping I'll generally go to 4-5", and anything else become free firewood for the neighbors or planks for my son in law.

The chipper below was designed for SCUT, and other than an FEL capability the X7xx series with a K90 works out to be the same.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The video with what i think is a 7510 (21hp/17pto) looks pretty promising

How about you try it and let us know how well it works;)

·
Registered
991 Posts
As I said before, I have a Vermeer BC625. The feed rate on the video is about 1/4 of what I have mine set at. They set it that slow, because that is probably the speed at which it can keep up with chipping. Depending on how much stuff you have to chip, it could take a long time to do it at that rate.

Overall, the chipper does look good. The X738 has an engine that is about as powerful (maybe slightly more) than the BC625, so it is not exactly underpowered if you have reasonable expectations. They didn't show cutting a 20-30' long branch with lots of side branches. It does have a wide opening, which should help minimize the amount of cutting you have to do. That is one thing I wish I had. The height and angle of the input is good for small short branches, but not so good for large long ones (have to lift more weight higher/angle).

There is a Canadian company that makes one that has autofeed. The tree guys always sneer at the autofeed on the BC625. I believe the criticism is that it really slows things down. I find it makes it so I don't have sit and wait for the branch to finish. I can start one and then go get the next one.

I really like having a chipper. I have salmonberry, blackberry, buckthorn, cottonwood that no one wants. It also works well on the smaller branches of hemlock and fir that fall down. I probably use it 10-20 hours a year on trail maintenance, depending on the weather events we have. I felt it paid for itself after a few years of avoided rentals, but I was glad I bought it after the first use. It was 10 times faster than the smaller one I had (similar to your current one). New, it would have cost almost 10x as much, but I got a good used one so it was only 2-3x. I did also have to have a tractor to pull it, but I had already bought that ?.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the link to the Canadian company. All of these chippers are about the same with plenty of demos on line. I won't spend money on Vermeer or any other "high quality" $7k chipper. Don't need it and as long as what I buy pulls the tree in I'm happy. My oldest daughters BF is a logger and I've been behind many Vermeer chippers. You know, the kind that takes a 24" 100' pine and eats it. Pretty nice equipment those Vermeers, but way to pricey for my needs.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Spring is on the way and now that I own an X738 w/ 3pt hitch I have given hard thought to a tractor mounted wood chipper. I own a great 15hp tow behind chipper capable of chipping logs to 5". In most cases that's just fine, but dry oak can be a killer, and I have plenty of that.

So, before I go crazy my limited research tells me that for an X7xx w/ rear PTO I should be looking at something that requires 15-20hp at the PTO shaft. That's fine, but how much HP does the X7xx series develop at the PTO shaft, and if I go this route will I get the shaft?
Suggestions?? Comments??

Thanks!!!
Here's what I've used for several years with my X748. It's DR Equipment's 3-point chipper. It has a single blade on a 50 pound flywheel and can cut up to 4.75" diameter limbs. It self-feeds due to its hopper design, so a powered feed isn't necessary. The X7 handled it just fine, but I limited myself to 4" limbs as the X7 is on the edge of big enough, with 18 PTO hp.
I made a video a long time ago, but didn't have anything big to chip, but it gives you an idea of what it can do. The long chute is an option, and I recommend it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts