My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MTF Newbie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1970 Ford 3000 gasoline 8 gears.
I know there has been water in the tranny. Possibly been there for years before I purchased it. The PTO will engage smoothly when there is no load, but just grinds away otherwise. Have adjusted clutch to 1/2 of free play and PTO still runs when depressed fully. Has anyone run into this before? Suggestions?

·
MTF Newbie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm wondering if something could have stuck / rusted together in second stage (PTO) of the clutch.?

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I'd go along with the idea that maybe some of the linkages/rails got rusty and sticky, but... since it will engage just fine without a load... I'd think that there's NOT something rusted together.

I'm ignorant when it comes to these 'newer' Fords, really... so I'll defer to one of the more knowledgeable guys...

·
MTF Newbie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to find out if it is a "sticking" clutch. If I take off the cover (where the gear shifters are mounted) would I be able to see the problem?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it a two stage clutch or do you have an independent PTO which uses a hydraulic clutch pack for the PTO in the rear end?
If it is the latter, then the PTO brake is probably burned up. When you use it, do you idle engine down before you disengage or engae?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looking under the shift cover won't do anything for your PTO problem since the clutch for it is either on the main clutch or in the rear end as a hydraulic indepedent.

·
MTF Newbie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a two stage clutch. I've adjusted it to a minimum amount of free play in attempt to allow the pto to engage as it should. I have also waited for an extended time at lowest rpm with same result. I've tried engaging clutch while mowing deep thick grass to see if it might cause the plate to "brake free".
Was wondering if anyone had another method of unsticking the darn thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts